From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Council meeting 2015-04-14: call for agenda items
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 21:37:15
1 On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 09:59:22 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
2 [...]
3 > > Hmm, that's a hard question. I tried to consider this issues from a
4 > > point of view of a user of such arch. If package is not used or
5 > > user may delete it and its deps without much harm, it doesn't affect
6 > > user at all. If it is used and needed, then in case of:
7 > >
8 > > - one package with removed stable keyword a user have to add to
9 > > package.keywords only a single package, though it might be
10 > > difficult to locate such package, because portage deptree failure
11 > > events may be really obscure sometimes;
12 > >
13 > > - all subtree of stable keywords is removed; then user have to
14 > > add all these packages to package.keywords, portage messages should
15 > > be clear here (but one never knows), though manual keywording of
16 > > hundred of packages will be irritating at best (even using "cat/*"
17 > > masks). So if number of affected installed packages is large, users
18 > > will likely move to ~arch all their setup.
19 > >
20 > > So from user's perspective stable deptree broken in single point is
21 > > a better solution, but(!) if portage will cleanly suggest this
22 > > point.
23 > >
24 > > Another issue to consider: what if we have one such package that
25 > > broke stable deptree, then after awhile another one and so on. In
26 > > the result stable tree will got corrupted beyond repair.
27 > >
28 > > Maybe some grace period will help here? E.g. remove stable keyword
29 > > from a single package, wait for 30 days (or so) for reaction from a
30 > > team, and then dekeyword all reverse dependencies.
31 >
32 > Which means developers can't commit properly for 30 days. Really
33 > awesome solution, thank you. Please ping QA instantly once you do it,
34 > you'll save us time figuring who to ban for the breakage.
35
36 I sad nowhere I'm going to do it. We are discussing opportunities
37 to fix current sore situation. Threatening people with bans just
38 for their thoughts reminds me of George Orwell's Thought Police...
39
40 > Let me remind you: once you break dependency tree on *ANY* stable
41 > architecture, repoman won't let you commit. Travis turns red. All pull
42 > requests are marked as broken.
43
44 Repoman, travis and other QA tools can be fixed if policy changes.
45 That's not a problem. Right now we have an all-green travis, but
46 outdated, broken and likely insecure packages it tree marked as
47 stable. That is the problem we're trying to discuss here.
48
49 And as I see this problem has no good solution, so one less painful
50 for users should be chosen. If this will require a QA policy
51 update, then it should be done.
52
53 Best regards,
54 Andrew Savchenko