From: Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2016 23:07:44
1 On 11/06/2016 02:53 PM, M. J. Everitt wrote:
2 > On 06/11/16 22:39, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 5:25 PM, Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> There's a reason why Apple computers and Apple Records
5 >>> both exist, both have an Apple as the logo, are not the same company,
6 >>> but do not violate each other's trademarks.
7 >> Well, they didn't back before Apple was in the music business. Apple
8 >> Records hasn't been active as far as I'm aware in recent days so this
9 >> is probably why the issue was never pressed when the iTunes music
10 >> store came along. Either that or some kind of deal was worked out
11 >> quietly.
12 >>
13 > I do believe there was some legal action taken against Apple Records,
14 > because Apple computers were a bigger organisation and can afford to do
15 > so (broadly generalising here). Fortunately, the courts saw sense, and
16 > both companies continue to exist, doing their own thing in their own
17 > arena (again AFAIK).
18
19 It was actually the other way around. Apple records went after Apple
20 Computers because of the latter crossing into the music marketplace.