From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Maintainer for Compiz?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 09:02:45
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Chandler Paul <thatslyude@×××××.com> wrote:
> Hello, I've asked this question around in the IRC, and I've done a bit of Googling, but I haven't been able to find anything on this, so I hope that this is the correct place to ask. Apparently, the Compiz-fusion package is masked because it lacks a maintainer. However, from what it looks like it's not a proxied maintainer, as it's not on the list. I was thinking of stepping up to be a maintainer for it, but I'm assuming that would mean writing patches for it. I do have a relatively OK understanding of C and C++, but I don't know if it would be good enough to be able to write patches for it. So, I guess what I'm asking is what exactly would maintaining the package entail, and how would I go about becoming a maintainer? > Also, I really hope this isn't the wrong place to ask, as I didn't go straight to here before doing some research, hopefully it isn't though... >
Compiz has "desktop-effects" listed as its maintainer. However, the desktop-effects herd has indicated that they are no longer maintaining compiz. You are welcome to proxy maintain it if you feel you are up to the task. Maintaining a package means a few things: - Troubleshooting bug reports. I think this is probably the most important part. - Following upstream development, and working with them to resolve issues. - Ebuild maintenance. This may involve some patching to fix issues when necessary. So, as a starting point, I would suggest you take a look through for open bug reports related to compiz. You will want to set up a local portage overlay to play with if you have not done so already. You can use this to test any fixes you may develop, as well as improve your ebuild writing skills.