From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Handbooks moving to the wiki
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 15:40:39
1 On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 03:55:30PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
3 > > The wiki is not nice to use in elinks or lynx with one small section
4 > > at the time. Nor is it useful to make a printed version. I want a
5 > > hand*book*, not a handwiki.
6 >
7 > I see that Wikipedia has some tool for creating books from collections
8 > of articles, maybe that could be used for creating a printed version?
9 >
10 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Books
11 > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection
12 > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PDF_Writer
13
14 As mentioned before, yes there are ways to accomplish that. But as
15 mentioned, these extensions can't just be enabled and hoping for the best.
16 They'll need to be maintained, the resources on the server(s) need to be
17 available for the dynamic generation of books and perhaps some other things
18 that I am missing (I haven't managed a mediawiki server yet so I can't speak
19 from much experience).
20
21 However, I do capture the need for an "all-on-one-page" and will look into
22 that first. It will not have working links for in-book navigation though but
23 it might already be enough for users who want everything on one page (esp.
24 those who want to print them out).
25
26 Thanks for the feedback!
27