From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting on 2022-02-13
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 14:27:06
1 On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 07:37:33AM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 >
3 > "just repackage it"
4 > - Is that in line with the licenses of ALL of distfiles?
5 > - If the combined gentoo-specific distfile is 100MB per $PV, you're now
6 > forcing 100MB of new downloads for each version.
7 > - Is it easy enough for any overlay author to use?
8 > - How are you going to trust every overlay's repacking of the distfiles:
9 > that they didn't include malicious code in the distfile, that wouldn't
10 > be caught in a review of the ebuild?
11 >
12 > I haven't done a full analysis of how much space it would end up take,
13 >
14 > But as a quick version, let's consider Vault 1.8.x series.
15 >
16 > vault-1.8.6 -> vault-1.8.7 didn't change distfiles.
17 > vault-1.8.7 -> vault-1.8.8
18 >
19 > 1.8.6 -> 368MB worth of distfiles
20 > of which 22-24MB are different from 1.8.7 & 1.8.8
21 >
22 > So naively, if you re-packaged those 3 versions, 368MiBx3 => 1104MiB on
23 > the mirrors.
24 >
25 > Or just 413MiB of unique distfiles between the versions.
28 If felt necessary on some larger packages that release often, could
29 always do increments/patch to the previous tarball (just untar changes
30 over if possible to be simpler). Can be merged in a single one on major
31 versions.
32
33 Similar to what gentoo-sources does right now by only making users
34 download linux-5.16.tar.xz and patch it up to 5.16.9, not that it'd
35 need to go as deep or use patches for easier maintenance.
36
37 We'd control the tarball anyway so we can manage it how we see fit.
38
39 > So save your 18MiB of disk space of Manifest lines, or 691MiB.
40
41 As long as Manifest is on every users system (on a package that
42 they may never use no less), that 18MB feels a lot bigger than
43 691MiB to me. Mentioned before, but we even have a rule for <20kB
44 patches an and yet Manifests are growing in the 500kB and ebuilds
45 100kB too.
46
47 Not to say every single ebuild with small files should be refactored
48 (many are reasonable) but there are a few that really stand out, and
49 finding ways to allow them to be even bigger (arg/env fixes) or bypass
50 the package manager (alternate fetch like unkeyworded live ebuilds)
51 doesn't feel right.
52
53 It's not optimal but tarball is at least feels like a viable option
54 that doesn't change everything upside down.
55
56 wrt overlays, easiest is typically to throw your vendored deps on
57 github/gitlab and let them generate the tarball. Allows for some
58 easier tracking of what they contain too.
59 --
60 ionen