From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2011-12-13
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 02:18:39
1 On 12/05/11 00:26, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA512
4 >
5 > On 12/04/2011 03:42 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote:
6 >> Fabian Groffen schrieb:
7 >>> Ok, you mean the --quiet-build=y default that most recent Portage
8 >>> uses, right? Also known to some as the parallel build output.
9 >> Yes
10 > I agree that the decision was made too fast but reverting seems like a
11 > joke to me. People will think that we are making fun of them by
12 > changing the defaults all the time. Imho it is too late to go back.
13
14 Great, so if I just patch stuff I can also claim that now it's too late
15 to revert?
16 That's a nice non-sequitur :)
17 >
18 >> If this does not get reverted and if it gets accepted to be the
19 >> default, i would request a news item, when it goes into a stable
20 >> version of portage, since a good amount of people wondered, why the
21 >> portage output changed (default for --quiet-build was changed), why
22 >> it was done and how they could change that behaviour.
23 >>
24 > I certainly agree with that. People keep wondering why portage is so
25 > quiet.
26 And spend much more time trying to find them silly logfiles now that we
27 hide the output. I really enjoy having to fix yet another bad default
28 everywhere just so I see *why* things fail ...
31 > In any case I believe the council should discuss these problems in the
32 > upcoming meeting
33 >
34 Ack.