From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation meeting agenda for April 2018
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 12:39:01
1 On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 11:29 PM, zlg <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > A Trustee can be sued or legally removed from the project if found in
4 > violation of Bylaws. What consequences does a Council member face beyond
5 > removal from a mail alias and a few other minor things?
8 The legal liability of Trustees should be viewed as a bug, not a
9 feature. The proposals you and Matthew present would extend that bug
10 more widely, while others have been proposing to reduce it.
11
12 We're a volunteer-driven community distro, not a large company. We
13 don't have an army of lawyers and accountants that are paid to deal
14 with ensuring that everything is legally solid.
15
16 I suspect most of us work in companies that do have all these
17 processes, and I doubt most of us want us see that fully replicated
18 here. Sure, we generally try to behave professionally, but our goal
19 here is to maximize the time spent working on the stuff that interests
20 us, and minimize the time spent on overhead.
21
22 If we make more positions in Gentoo legally responsible for their
23 actions (as volunteers) I think it will just make it that much harder
24 to recruit competent people into those roles. For an illustration of
25 how this already works, look at any Council/Trustee election.
26 Typically in a Council election we have twice as many candidates as
27 open positions, despite the fact that we always have 7 open positions.
28 In a Trustee election we only have 2-3 positions open typically, and
29 in several years we haven't even had an election as the seats weren't
30 even contested. Going back further we had seats going vacant -
31 anybody who even ran would have gotten in unopposed.
32
33 And that was generally the case before we found out the extent of the
34 legal issues facing the Foundation.
35
36 The legal liability for Foundation duties also makes it harder to hire
37 professional help. Anybody we might hire to help fix our mess is
38 going to have to due the job properly because they would be liable
39 otherwise, and they're going to want to see that the Foundation is a
40 serious partner to work with. Their fees will reflect both their
41 expertise and need to cover insurance/etc (something we haven't been
42 able to afford for our officers/trustees).
43
44 If I could wave a wand and make the Trustees non-liable for the
45 volunteer work they do I would, but obviously I can't and this is just
46 the reality of the structure we've chosen for ourselves.
47
48 Other distros like Debian and Arch are taking a different approach in
49 trying to minimize the scope of the legal side by concentrating it
50 into a more professionally managed cross-org non-profit that has even
51 less responsibility for the actual distro. The logic here is to
52 minimize the scope of the stuff that can get people into trouble.
53
54 A lot of smaller projects take it a step further and simply try to
55 avoid having any money/infra/assets to manage, by using
56 freely-available hosting. This might be less practical at our scale -
57 if one of these services shuts down we'd have to pick up and move a
58 lot of stuff.
59
60 I strongly advocate minimizing the legal side of Gentoo. It exposes
61 us to risk, and in general it isn't the sort of thing most of our
62 volunteers seem interested in dealing with. For me it has nothing to
63 do with the competence or intentions of those currently volunteering
64 in these roles. I just think that our current metastructure is a
65 relic of the time it was created in and that better solutions to our
66 problems exist today. If certain aspects of the project can be
67 managed without having to deal with legal liability, then it adds no
68 value to mix that in.
69
70 Finally, I just want to deal with the notion that we need parts of the
71 distro to be liable in order for there to be accountability,
72 presumably to our users or volunteers. None of us are paid to be
73 here. If people don't like the job leaders are doing, they should
74 elect different leaders. There was a recent proposal to allow for
75 recalls or the like and I'm completely for that. However, it makes no
76 sense at all to expose our volunteers to legal liability as some sort
77 of accountability system. There will ALWAYS be people who disagree
78 with decisions. If there are 100 who agree and 10 who disagree, the
79 last thing we need is the 10 going to court and filing lawsuits that
80 cost thousands of dollars to defend. That is basically the tail
81 wagging the dog.
82
83 Not even paid distros accept this kind of liability. If you're a user
84 of RHEL and don't like what Redhat is doing, good luck getting
85 anything from them in compensation beyond a refund. They're obviously
86 motivated to keep their customers happy, but every company seeks to
87 minimize its legal liability because the needs of one customer can't
88 be allowed to dictate the path of an entire corporation and its impact
89 on every other customer.
90
91 Is recruitment not going well enough? Well, propose a solution, and
92 go from there. If Council members didn't have a solution proposed in
93 their manifestos going into elections, I'm not sure why you're shocked
94 that they don't have one six months later. It isn't like they were
95 paid to sit around all day brainstorming one. In any case, if you
96 think that somebody else will make things better, then by all means
97 vote for them.
100 Rich