From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLog generation - pros and cons (council discussion request)
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 17:33:19
1 On 20:33 Wed 03 Aug , Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 03-08-2011 11:09:07 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > > > 1. Include all commits, don't retroactively change existing ChangeLog
4 > > > > messages
5 > > > >
6 > > > > 2. Allow commit filtering, don't retroactively change existing ChangeLog
7 > > > > messages
8 > > > >
9 > > > > - Filters to allow: keywording, stabilization, removal of ebuilds.
10 > > > > Whoever implements the code can decide on the format of said filters.
11 > > > >
12 > > > >
13 > > > > Do any council members feel strongly that we should include additional
14 > > > > options, or is it good enough to just make a choice on these two?
15 > > >
16 > > > I listed the questions I think are relevant at the bottom of my mail. I
17 > > > feel you forgot the most important one: should ChangeLogs be
18 > > > auto-generated at all?. Only if yes,
19 > >
20 > > Yeah, that's already on my draft agenda [1]. =) But we should still have
21 > > a small set of options to choose from if we do vote to automate, so we
22 > > don't sit around for another month or discuss it aimlessly for hours.
23 > > Being prepared is what I'm hoping we can do here.
24 >
25 > Ok, then I suggest simply adding ", don't bother about changes between
26 > CVS log and ChangeLog" to both of your options.
27
28 I guess I don't understand something here. If we aren't retroactively
29 changing existing ChangeLogs, and we're autogenerating things in the
30 future, where would these changes come from?
33 Thanks,
34 Donnie
35
36 Donnie Berkholz