From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] ComRel / disciplinary action reform proposal
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 19:23:58
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 Since the things around ComRel seem to have cooled down a bit, I think
4 we can now start a serious discussion on how disciplinary action
5 handling could be improved. While the recent complaints were focused on
6 ComRel, I would like to take a more generic approach since ComRel is
7 not the only body in Gentoo capable of disciplinary action.
8
9 Therefore, I'd like my proposal to concern all cases of disciplinary
10 action, involving but not limited to: ComRel, QA, Forum moderators, IRC
11 moderators, Wiki admins and any other entity capable of enforcing
12 a disciplinary action against developers and users.
13
14 Note: throughout the mail 'users' include all people involved on
15 the Gentoo communication channels, developers, users, bystanders
16 and bots alike.
19 Problems
20 --------
21 1. Lack of transparency (this seems to be improving but I don't think
22 we have a proper rules for that), that causes two issues:
23
24 a. Users indirectly involved in disciplinary action are unaware of it
25 which causes unnecessary confusion. Example: user is unaware that
26 a person is banned from Bugzilla, and incorrectly assumes that
27 the developer or user does not wish to reply to him.
28
29 b. Users presume disciplinary bodies attempt to hide their actions
30 which unnecessary builds tension and accusations. This becomes worse
31 when the subjects of those actions are the only sides speaking upon
32 the matter, and spreading false information.
33
34 2. Unclear appeal procedure (outside ComRel). For example, users that
35 get banned on IRC don't have a clear suggestion on where to appeal to
36 a particular decision, or whether there is any appeal possible at all.
37
38 3. Lack of supervision. Likewise, most of teams capable of some degree
39 of disciplinary action are not supervised by any other body in Gentoo,
40 some not even indirectly.
41
42 4. Lack of cooperation. Most of disciplinary teams in Gentoo operate
43 in complete isolation. Users affected by disciplinary actions
44 sometimes simply switch to another channel and continue their bad
45 behavior under another disciplinary team.
48 In this proposal, I'd like to discuss introducing a few simple rules
49 that would be binding to all teams capable of enforcing a disciplinary
50 actions, and that aim to improve the current situation. My proposed
51 rules are:
54 1. Secrecy
55 ----------
56 Due to the nature of disciplinary affairs, the teams involved
57 in performing them are obliged to retain secrecy of the information
58 gathered. This includes both collected material (logs, messages, etc.)
59 and names of the individuals providing them.
60
61 All the sensitive information involving disciplinary affairs can be
62 *securely* passed only to other members of the disciplinary team
63 involved in the affair and the current Council members, upon legitimate
64 request. The obtained information should also be stored securely.
65
66 It is only necessary for a single member of the disciplinary team to
67 store the information (or to use a single collective store).
68 The Council members should remove all obtained information after
69 the appeal/audit.
70
71 It should be noted that an unauthorized disclosure of sensitive
72 information by any party involved would be a base for a strong
73 disciplinary action.
74
75 Rationale:
76
77 a. The collected material sometimes contains various bits of private
78 information whose disclosure is completely unnecessary and would only
79 unnecessarily violate individual's privacy. Gentoo ought to respect
80 privacy of users, and do not invade it without necessity.
81
82 b. Publishing names of individuals involved in a disciplinary action
83 could encourage the subjects to seek revenge. While keeping them secret
84 often does not prevent it (or even worse, causes the individuals to
85 seek revenge on larger group of people), we ought not to encourage
86 it.
89 2. Transparency
90 ---------------
91 Any disciplinary action should be announced by the team in a manner
92 specific to the appropriate media where the measure applies.
93 The announcement should be visible to all users of that media,
94 and contains:
95
96 - the name of the user to whom the measure applies,
97
98 - the description and length of the measure applied.
99
100 For example, a ban on a mailing list could be announced to the mailing
101 list in question. A ban on Bugzilla could involve adding appropriate
102 note to the user's name, so that all other users see that he can't
103 respond at the time. A ban on IRC could be stored e.g. on wiki page,
104 or noted on a bug.
105
106 Furthermore, any disciplinary action must be reported to the Council.
107 The reporting is done through a bug that is opened at the first
108 disciplinary measure inflicted on a user, and reused at any following
109 measures. It should contain the information listed above, and have
110 the Council in CC. No private information should be ever included
111 in the bug.
112
113 Rationale:
114
115 a. As noted above, the disciplinary measure often affect more users
116 than the subject of the action. It is therefore most advisable to
117 notice them of the action (i.e. that they can't expect the particular
118 user to reply) and their length, while protecting as much privacy as
119 possible.
120
121 b. It is also beneficial for the subject of the action to have
122 a publicly visible note of the measure applied, and clear statement of
123 its length.
124
125 c. Opening bugs for all disciplinary actions helps teams keep track of
126 them and their durations, note repeated offenders and finally report
127 all actions to the Council for auditing purposes.
130 3. Appeal
131 ---------
132 All disciplinary decisions (both actions and refusals to perform
133 action) can be appealed to the Council. In this case, the disciplinary
134 team is obliged to securely pass all material collected to the Council.
135 The Council can either support, modify or dismiss the decision
136 entirely. There is no further appeal.
137
138 It should be noted that the disciplinary actions must not prevent
139 the appeal from being filed.
140
141 Rationale:
142
143 a. Having a single body to handle all appeals makes the procedures
144 simpler to our users and more consistent. This also guarantees that
145 all measures can be appealed exactly once, and no channels are
146 privileged.
147
148 b. The Council is currently the highest body elected by Gentoo
149 developers with the trust of being able to handle appeals from ComRel
150 decisions. It seems reasonable to extend that to all disciplinary
151 decisions in Gentoo.
154 4. Supervision
155 --------------
156 At the same time, Council is assumed to supervise all disciplinary
157 affairs in Gentoo. As noted in 2., all decisions made are reported to
158 the Council for auditing. Those reports combined with appeals should
159 allow the Council to notice any suspicious behavior from particular
160 disciplinary teams.
161
162 For the necessity of audit, the disciplinary teams should retain all
163 material supporting their disciplinary audit in a secure manner,
164 throughout the time of the disciplinary action and at least half a year
165 past it. The Council can request all this information to audit
166 the behavior of a particular team and/or its member.
167
168 Rationale:
169
170 a. Having a proper auditing procedure in place is necessary to improve
171 the trust our users put in our disciplinary teams. It should discourage
172 any members of our disciplinary teams from attempting to abuse their
173 privileges, and help discover that quickly if it actually happens.
174
175 b. The necessity of storing information supporting disciplinary
176 decisions is helpful both for the purpose of auditing as well as for
177 (potentially late) appeals. Keeping old information is necessary to
178 support stronger decisions made for repeat offenders.
181 5. Cooperation
182 --------------
183 While it is not strictly necessary for different disciplinary teams to
184 cooperate, in some cases it could be useful to handle troublemakers
185 more efficiently across different channels.
186
187 Since all disciplinary actions are published, a team may notice that
188 another team has enforced a disciplinary action on their user. This
189 could be used as a suggestion that the user is a potential troublemaker
190 but the team must collect the evidence of wrongdoing in their own
191 channel before enforcing any action. It should be noted that
192 disciplinary teams are not allowed to exchange private information.
193
194 When multiple teams inflict disciplinary actions on the same user, they
195 can request the Council to consider issuing a cross-channel Gentoo
196 disciplinary action. In this case, the Council requests material from
197 all involved teams (alike when auditing) and may request a consistent
198 disciplinary action from all disciplinary teams in Gentoo.
199
200 Rationale:
201
202 a. Under normal circumstances, a bad behavior on one communication
203 channel should not prevent the user from contributing on another.
204 However, we should have a more efficient procedure to handle the case
205 when user is a repeating troublemaker and moves from one channel to
206 another.
207
208 b. Preventing information exchange serves the purpose of protecting
209 users' privacy. The access to sensitive information should be
210 restricted as narrowly as possible. Disciplinary teams should perform
211 decisions autonomously to prevent corruption of one team resulting
212 in unnecessary actions from another.
215 Migration
216 ---------
217 It would seem unreasonable to request all disciplinary teams to either
218 report all their past decisions right now, or to lift them immediately.
219 However, if this policy is accepted, all teams would be obliged to
220 follow it for any further decisions.
221
222 It would also be recommended for teams to appropriate update at least
223 recent decisions or those that are brought up again (e.g. via appeal or
224 repeat offense).
227 What do you think?
230 Best regards,
231 Michał Górny