From: "Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)" <klondike@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-04-08
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:29:02
1 El 29/03/18 a las 15:09, Ulrich Mueller escribió:
2 > Either that, or if we change it we should be very cautious not to do
3 > any radical changes. Here is my suggestion for the first paragraph:
4 >
5 > | This social contract is intended to clearly describe the overall
6 > | development policies and standards of the Gentoo project development
7 > | team. Parts of this document have been derived from the Debian
8 > | Social Contract. Suggestions for improvements are welcome. Please
9 > | send them to our gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list.
10 >
11 > Or as a pseudo-diff with line breaks inserted (since in the markdown
12 > source it is all in one long line):
13 >
14 > --- a/get-started/philosophy/social-contract.md
15 > +++ b/get-started/philosophy/social-contract.md
16 > @@ -12 +12 @@
17 > This social contract is intended to clearly describe the overall
18 > development policies and standards of the Gentoo project development
19 > team. Parts of this document have been derived from the [Debian
20 > Social Contract](https://www.debian.org/social_contract).
21 > -It is generally very similar to it except that certain parts have been
22 > -clarified and augmented while other parts deemed redundant have been
23 > -removed.
24 > -Comments are welcome.
25 > +Suggestions for improvements are welcome.
26 > Please send them to our
27 > -[gentoo-dev@l.g.o](mailto:gentoo-dev@l.g.o)
28 > +[gentoo-project@l.g.o](mailto:gentoo-project@l.g.o)
29 > mailing list.
30 >
31 > Rationale:
32 >
33 > 1. Our version is clearly derived from the Debian social contract,
34 > so removing the attribution would be bad style. Also [1] explictly
35 > says: "Other organizations may derive from and build on this
36 > document. Please give credit to the Debian project if you do."
37 >
38 > 2. That there are augmentations and removals follows from the fact
39 > that it is a derived document, so I agree that the third sentence
40 > is completely redundant and can be removed.
41 >
42 > 3. The "are welcome" wording is reminiscent of "patches are welcome".
43 > Keeping it because I like this.
44 >
45 > 4. Avoid the debate if this is primarily a council or trustees matter.
46 > Members of both bodies should listen to gentoo-project, so using
47 > this list seems right. Also I expect changes to be rare, so this
48 > shouldn't add any significant traffic to the ML.
49 >
50 > Another question, should we add a version number to the document (as
51 > Debian does for theirs)? Or alternatively, the date of last update?
52 >
53 > Ulrich
54 >
55 > [1] https://www.debian.org/social_contract.en.html
56
57 Hi Ulrich!
58
59 That propossal also works for me.
60
61 Regarding the date or versioning, in the days of old the GuideXML
62 document carried out the version and date of last change. (See for
63 example
64 https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo/xml/htdocs/main/en/contract.xml?r1=1.10&r2=1.11)
65 and the date of the last update could be see on the tab on the right
66 (https://web.archive.org/web/20080321045304/http://www.gentoo.org:80/main/en/contract.xml)
67 with the migration to the wiki I don't think this is noted unless you go
68 to the revision history so maybe we could start the document by adding
69 "This Social Contract was last updated on *date*". *date* is obviously a
70 placeholder.
71
72 If you want I can collect the whole thing together into a single propossal.
73
74 Klondike