From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting [WAS: Council meeting summary for 8 May 2008]
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:12:47
1 On Sun, 18 May 2008 12:02:22 -0400
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
3 > > It was written under the expectation that at least some Council
4 > > members wouldn't do their jobs properly some of the time. It was
5 > > not written under the expectation that the Council as a whole would
6 > > try to find loopholes to avoid facing the consequences of them
7 > > screwing up.
8 >
9 > This clause punishes all for mistakes of 50%. So that is punishing the
10 > council as a whole. It's not a matter of loop holes. That would imply
11 > that stated policy creates gaps. This is a problem where an unstated
12 > policy has left a gap. Very different.
13
14 The clause doesn't punish anyone. The clause ensures that Gentoo
15 developers get the effective management to which they are entitled. Any
16 punishment is done by the developers as a whole, when they decide who
17 to reelect and who to reject.
18
19 > > You'll note that Council members are always free to stand for
20 > > reelection, so the punishment is decided by the developer base as a
21 > > whole, and not by policy.
22 >
23 > That is a stupid formality then and just goes to show/prove how half
24 > ass this entire thing is. What is the point of having an election if
25 > the same people end up running? Who's to say they don't do that again?
26
27 It'll only be the same people running if every developer thinks that
28 no-one on the Council has screwed up in any way. If that's the case, we
29 get the same Council for another year -- no harm done. But if some
30 Council members are held in general to be 'bad', they will be replaced.
31
32 When the required election takes place, I expect there'll be two or
33 three changes, the same as there were for most other elections.
34
35 > What benefit does Gentoo get by interrupting a council, holding
36 > elections, just for the same people to run again. Which would just
37 > extend their term. Not to mention screw up our time lines for
38 > elections. That is just totally stupid and futile IMHO. Allot of work
39 > doing an election over 2+ months for what purpose?
40
41 Other people will presumably run too. I know at least a couple of
42 developers who have said that they'll be seriously considering running
43 against the current Council because of their dissatisfaction with the
44 way things are.
45
46 You might as well say "what's the point in holding yearly elections if
47 the same people end up standing?".
48
49 > If we are punishing those on the council. They should not have a
50 > chance to re-run. Or at least those in the 50% not attending. Should
51 > not be allowed to run again. Those that were there, doing their job.
52 > Shouldn't be punished.
53
54 Having to hold an election isn't being punished. Not being reelected is
55 being punished.
56
57 > So at best it should be a partial election to replace some. Not all.
58 > But again this document didn't spend any time going into detail. But
59 > did spend time talking about things really not relevant to policy.
60 > But the past, etc.
61
62 Those things were relevant to the voting for the proposal.
63
64 > If we allow the same ones to run again. Then what's the difference
65 > between that, and allowing them a chance to make up for the missed
66 > meeting? Which a 15 day clause requiring any meeting be made up for,
67 > before punishment. Would have made much more sense, been more
68 > balanced, less harsh, and fair all around.
69
70 They can run. But anyone who's deemed to have screwed up too badly
71 won't be reelected.
72
73 One thing you should know -- developers had the choice of voting for
74 Grant's proposal with or without my slacker additions. They could also
75 have requested ballot options of "only the individual slacker rules,
76 not the 50% one too" had they wanted, but no-one did. The vote was very
77 heavily in favour of adding the slacker rules.
80 Ciaran McCreesh