From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Dropping rsync as a tree distribution method
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 18:41:15
1 On 16/12/18 18:36, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 1:05 PM M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 >> Nor is GPG at present either .. in case you start having more thoughts
4 >> about increasing @system's scope (enjoy the bikeshed on that).
5 >>
6 > If we are going to do this might I suggest that it would be nice to
7 > create a new set for things that we want to be present by default, but
8 > which are not part of @system.
9 >
10 > Some things like a libc virtual make more sense in @system. You can't
11 > run without them, and devs don't want to specify them as dependencies
12 > (though I personally think we'd be better served by making them
13 > explicit deps anyway).
14 >
15 > However, there are always things like editors, sshd, and now
16 > gpg/git/etc that are sensible defaults, but there really is no harm if
17 > you uninstall them and no reason to give them special treatment for
18 > parallel builds or dependency specifications. So, having an
19 > additional set would make sense. This set would be part of the stage3
20 > and livecd, but could be more easily uninstalled without as many scary
21 > warnings, and dependencies would have to be explicit, and parallel
22 > builds would work fine.
23 >
24 > So, how is that for a bikeshed?
25 >
26 By the same token, the standard install image should become a stage4 with
27 all these extra components included, and leave the existing stage3 as a
28 bare-bones image.
29
30 I've long thought that a system logger, ssh and one or two other packages
31 should be 'core tools' in the stage3 (and have a custom stage4 spec set up
32 for this all-but) but I hear the argument that the @system set should be
33 genuinely minimal (and is already excessive with an init system for
34 container installs) so perhaps I'm opening up the bikeshed here for a
35 bigger debate/discussion on the 'correct' way forward here ...