From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: "René 'Necoro' Neumann" <lists@××××××.eu>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo <--> Sabayon Relation
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 15:42:47
1 On 8/1/07, René 'Necoro' Neumann <lists@××××××.eu> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Hey guys,
6 >
7 > I'd like to discuss a topic that I know much people will use for
8 > trolling/flaming or similar. If you feel like this - get you a weapon
9 > and cool down, but please do not answer :)
10 >
11 > I start this discussion as I'm inspired by some posts at drobbin's blog.
12 >
13 > The first thing:
14 > What is the actual (official) attitude towards Sabayon?
15
16 What is this 'official' stuff?
17 I don't think Gentoo has a body that makes decisions on 'officiality'
18 and I don't think anyone cares anyway. Some people think Sabayon is
19 good, others do not. I don't think you will get an 'official
20 attitude', you will get the attitude of whomever you have asked.
23 > If it is as I think it is (negative) - why is it like this? Why isn't
24 > Sabayon treated as an official "child project"? Why is support denied
25 > for Sabayon Users? - I know that they have a global ~$ARCH and some
26 > not-so-nice hacks ;), but this shouldn't be a reason, as problems
27 > related to this shouldn't be the major part...
28
29 Sabayon (in my experience) has badly chosen settings in
30 /etc/make.conf. Those settings by default make the packages in
31 sabayon unsupported in a typical gentoo environment (ie you are using
32 gentoo but have those settings, good luck getting support from many
33 people).
34
35 Support in #gentoo is typically denied to sabayon users because in our
36 experience it's rarely a gentoo problem. It's usually a problem with
37 the sabayon overlay or build settings. The number of times I've
38 helped someone for 15 or 20 minutes only to find out they are using
39 sabayon and not gentoo and holy crap they have this overlay and horrid
40 build settings. Hey surprise, your packages didn't build. Maybe you
41 should use sane settings! -> makes me grr ;)
42
43 I believe you can always get support for it in the Unsupported Software forum.
44
45 So to sum up, we don't support it because it has really bad make.conf
46 settings (CFLAGS/LDFLAGS). It would be like saying 'we support you
47 using -ffast-math'. Which is false, we will tell you to rebuild your
48 system without -ffast-math. If you come to me with a sabayon problem,
49 I'll tell you to rebuild your system with sane build flags unless you
50 have good evidence that those flags are not the problem. Most Sabayon
51 users are not prepared to do that.
54 > I want just to propose, that the devs should be more open for Sabayon -
55 > and see it as a source of ideas and software. If lxnay will finish
56 > Entropy (and it helds what it is supposed ;)) - it will add a feature
57 > that is often asked for and always declined as "not possible". (And
58 > there may be other stuff ...)
61 > Hmm ... I had several other thoughts but forgot them during the day :/.
62 > So again: Only serious, constructive answers :)
63 >
64 > - -- Nec
65 >
66 > P.S.: Nope - I'm not a Sabayon User :)
75 > --
76 > gentoo-project@g.o mailing list
80 gentoo-project@g.o mailing list