From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: ulm@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 18:50:09
1 On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 06:50:52PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > | * Notice identifies the copyright owner at the time the work was first
3 > | published for parties seeking permission to use the work.
4 > | * Notice identifies the year of first publication, which may be used
5 > | to determine the term of copyright protection in the case of an
6 > | anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire.
7 > | * Notice may prevent the work from becoming an orphan work by
8 > | identifying the copyright owner and specifying the term of the
9 > | copyright.
10 >
11 > For "indentifying the copyright owner" nothing short of a complete list
12 > will suffice. Especially, a notice like the following (which mentions
13 > only "Gentoo Authors" and "Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.") does
14 > not help with that at all (i.e., it is no better than the simplified
15 > notice):
16 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/sys-cluster/ceph/ceph-13.2.2-r2.ebuild?id=5f77c21f23bf1c4cfb9e68be7aa27669c8146e8e#n1
17
18 Remember that in the US, SIE is a legal entity, so it can hold
19 copyrights, just like a person can. It is like "Gentoo Foundation, Inc."
20
21 So, there would be two contributors in that ebuild: "Gentoo Authors"
22 and SIE.
23
24 > Besides, these last three items are pretty much moot for a work released
25 > under the GPL-2 (which grants "permission to use"), and I think that
26 > even you aren't suggesting that we should go for a complete list of
27 > contributors.
28
29 You are right, I'm not advocating for a complete list of contributors.
30 I'm just advocating for flexability where contributors want it, and SIE
31 is one of those contributors that wants it.
32
33 William