From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2016-03-13
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 17:23:49
1 On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, the first PMS version was approved by the council in 2008
4 > (for EAPI 2). At some point we should have tracked down all remaining
5 > non-PMS-conformant behaviour, so it can be fixed in ebuilds, in the
6 > package manager, or in the PMS itself.
9 One thing I can say with a pretty high level of assurance is that
10 there will NEVER be a point in time when we've tracked down all
11 remaining non-PMS-conformant behavior.
12 This is a bit like saying that at some point in time a mature piece of
13 software will be free of bugs. I'd like to think that we'll get there
14 with PMS some day, but I'm not so naive to actually believe that. The
15 rate of finding new issues should of course go down, but software QA
16 is a hard problem.
17
18 But, I agree completely that when we discover these they're bugs and
19 need to be fixed. PMS is broken is a description of a problem, not a
20 resolution to a problem.
23 Rich