From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council appointed leaders for QA and DevRel
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:44:03
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 08/14/2011 04:35 PM, Roy Bamford wrote:
5 > On 2011.08.14 14:38, Markos Chandras wrote:
6 >
7 > [snip]
8 >> Bringing council to the game, ensures that these projects will be
9 >> active and managed at a senior level. Right now, there is no
10 >> recovery plan if these teams do not function properly.
11 >
12 > What's the recovery plan if other projects don't function properly?
13 > e.g. Documentation. The install guides still describe setting up
14 > baselayout-1, three months after baselayout-2 was stabilised. See
15 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=1
16 > Code Listing 1.2: Examples for /etc/conf.d/net
17 >
18 > Hmm. maybe thats a bug as
19 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=8
20 > is correct for baselayout-2.
21 >
22 > Anyway, I'm sure you get the idea.
23 >
24 > Will the council fix these things too ? Josh, this is just one
25 > example I'm familiar with. not a poke at you being the entire docs
26 > team.
27 >
28 > Why are devrel and QA special?
29 >
30 > To continue with my example, I would suggest that docs are much more
31 > important as they are first point of contact for new users and
32 > without users Gentoo will die.
33 >
34 Yes but like I said, many project keep their documentation in their
35 project pages. Like openrc does for baselayout-2 migration guide.
36 I don't disagree with you and yes maybe more team need to be
37 managed/monitor at a senior level. The thing is that something HAS to
38 change.
39
40 I like your idea about the authority team (though this introduces
41 another layer of bureaucracy). It would be nice to have a team
42 monitoring all the projects and poking council to take action when
43 needed. But this team looks like similar to QA doesn't it? What if this
44 team is formed by Council members (2-3)? This team will gather feedback
45 from the community ( "Hey devs, which teams need urgent attention?" ),
46 design solutions and bring them to the Council agenda?
47
48 - --
49 Regards,
50 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2