From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Some focus for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:14:44
1 On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 08:52:44 +0100
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > If we want to attract developers, we might need to point out how they
5 > can (easily) write ebuilds to make deployment easier of things we
6 > don't already offer ebuilds for. This would have to chime with their
7 > ideas of what a deployment should look like.
8
9 On that note, I guess one way of doing this is to advertise Gentoo
10 Prefix better and integrate it better. Get the QA warnings in, make all
11 developers aware of the common pitfalls, and generally move toward
12 supporting Gentoo on any platform out there that can reasonably
13 accommodate it.
14
15 Why on Earth would anyone need to install a new platform to start
16 developing (on) another platform? Almost ten years ago, Gentoo on
17 Windows was a joke[1]. A few years later it suddenly wasn't.
20 jer
23 [1] http://gentooexperimental.org/nt/gentoo-nt-quickinstall.html
24 https://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20050404-newsletter.xml