From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: robbat2@g.o, gyakovlev@g.o, sam@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting on 2022-02-13
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 06:54:52
1 On Wed, Feb 09, 2022 at 09:23:46AM +0500, Anna Vyalkova wrote:
2 > On 2022-02-09 04:15, Sam James wrote:
3 > > A compromise / workaround would be the Go maintainers working on
4 > > some tooling to make it easier to tar up the needed modules and
5 > > avoid huge SRC_URI.
6 >
7 > This. Sometimes EGO_SUM is so long it exceeds the maximum string length.
8 >
9 > *blames google for the whole go modules thing*
10
11 This isn't an issue specific to Go; Rust can have the same problem.
12
13 I'm speaking mostly for Go; I'm not sure how Rust handles this exactly.
14
15 If we could define an extra phase function that runs after
16 src_unpack, say call it src_fetch_extra, which has access to the
17 network, we could completely eliminate EGO_SUM and most of the go-module
18 eclass code around src_unpack.
19
20 At a very high level, if src_fetch_extra is not defined, nothing
21 happens. If it is defined, however, it would be called with "${S}" as
22 the starting directory.
23
24 Could this be added to eapi 9?
25
26 If I had something like this for Go ebuilds at least, all of the big
27 manifests would disappear.
28
29 Thanks,
30