From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Making Gentoo more fun
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 09:29:56
1 Hi Daniel
2
3 Am 17.02.2018 um 08:56 schrieb Daniel Robbins:
4 > [...]
5 > I've been reflecting on these things because we've instituted a new
6 > system in Funtoo that seems to be helping. This is not an attempt to
7 > toot my own horn, but I am finally starting to feel a bit of stress
8 > relief in this area due to a new process we are using. We have organized
9 > the upstream Portage tree into 'kits', or sub-trees, and then we
10 > snapshot these sub-trees. Our snapshotted versions are called 'prime'
11 > kits, and we will backport security fixes and do cautious version
12 > bumping in these kits. But then we work on newer versions of kits to
13 > eventually replace the (aging) prime kits, and these are based on newer
14 > snapshots from Gentoo. And we also test to make sure that people can
15 > upgrade cleanly (no weird dep issues) when transitioning from the older
16 > kit to the newer kit.
17
18 I haven't thought enough yet about the actual proposal to comment on it,
19 but this systems seems to be similar to what openSuse has: projects
20 taking care of a set of packages in a bleeding edge manner, occasional
21 snapshots of those projects (or single packages?) make it into a final
22 distro, which afterwards gets backports only. Or am I wrong?
23 There it seems to work quiet well so far, except for some packages
24 shared between all the projects (like the compiler), which are then
25 lagging behind. How do you avoid this or similar issues of
26 cross-dependencies between the kits? Especially with the possibility of
27 changing dependencies with USE flags?
28
29 Best regards,
30 Tiziano