From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] A GLEP for ComRel?
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 19:21:22
1 On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 3:18 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 12:24 PM Matthew Thode
4 > <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > I'm sure there are times where action may be
7 > > needed but what it sounds like is needed are more genral definitions of
8 > > what the relationship between groups should be (how to hand off a high
9 > > priority item for review/action).
10 >
11 > IMO the scope of each is fairly clear-cut, and the few times we've had
12 > to interact we already have a comrel liason on Proctors. We really
13 > only escalate serious repeat offenses/etc, and that basically just
14 > involves sending them a complaint (much as any dev might), and
15 > referencing what data we have (which is all public anyway, since
16 > Proctors only deals with specific incidents that happen in public, and
17 > not interpersonal issues in general). There will never be a case
18 > where a Comrel issue would get referred to Proctors, unless it was
19 > just misdirected from the start. If that were the case we'd just have
20 > them assign us a bug/etc or otherwise ping us.
23 At least in my view the QA / Comrel interaction could use some
24 improvement. Proctors is *under* comrel so its less contentious I suspect ;)
25
26 -A
30 > No harm in writing that down I suppose, but I'm not sure it is worth
31 > it since I don't see this particular aspect of either group as
32 > contentious. Neither group really has special standing with the other
33 > - when we refer issues to Comrel they basically go into a black hole
34 > as far as we're concerned - it would be between that dev and Comrel,
35 > since it wouldn't be a personal conflict issue from our standpoint.
36 > We could continue to take action on future incidents like we always
37 > would, and we don't have discretion to do permanent bans/etc. If
38 > Comrel issued a long-term ban then there would be no further incidents
39 > for us to deal with.
40 >
41 > While I'm not opposed to a single GLEP for Comrel plus Proctors (or
42 > maybe even lump QA in there - there are potentially some common
43 > elements like confirming leads), I'm not sure if that actually makes
44 > things simpler. IMO Comrel is more about dealing with people, and
45 > Proctors is more about dealing with their specific posts/etc without
46 > passing judgment on the individuals long-term fit in the community.
47 > Proctors actions are definitely not intended to be punitive even if
48 > they're bans - it is more about cooling down, bringing attention to
49 > the CoC, and so on, and all bans are relatively short and
50 > auto-reinstated with no further follow-up. We also generally have
51 > been avoiding being ban-heavy (well, aside from that spam a while ago)
52 > and I'd like to see guidelines published further explaining our goals.
53 >
54 > --
55 > Rich