From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Fundraising for incremental service level
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 01:53:21
1 On July 19, 2020 9:07:40 PM EDT, Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin@g.o> wrote:
2 >On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 04:20:58PM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
3 >> > It seems to me you are thinking more about allocating the currently
4 >> > available
5 >> > resources (volunteer time, available unconditional donations)
6 >towards some
7 >> > goals set by some governing body. This may work for some orgs, but
8 >I think
9 >> > won't work in case of Gentoo, because we're kind of an anarchy as
10 >in
11 >> > everybody
12 >> > does what they want.
13 >> >
14 >>
15 >> I don't really follow. How is the Anarchy a problem? To take an
16 >example,
17 >> lets say you pick my proposal (to replace rsync with git for all
18 >users.)
19 >> You raise 10,000 to do the work and fund the infrastructure for 2
20 >years.
21 >>
22 >> How does Gentoo's Anarchy affect this project in your model?
23 >> How does Gentoo's Anarchy affect this project in a model where the
24 >> Foundation raised 10,000$ and paid you to do the work?
25 >
26 >Anarchy isn't a problem for my proposal.
27 >It appears to be an impediment to what seemed to be your proposal
28 >(directing
29 >available resources).
30 >
31 >> > So, the more is raised for any causes, the better Gentoo stands in
32 >my eyes.
33 >> >
34 >>
35 >> So our job as developers here is to deliver a better open source
36 >product to
37 >> our users and you see this as a way to kind of measure demand for new
38 >> features and fund more ambitious proposals that you think don't
39 >happen in
40 >> the current project model?
41 >
42 >Yes, exactly.
43
44 I interpreted your "anarchy" statement as having a lack of direction from a main steering body. That is, I believe the council currently is reactive in some sense... often to fix an issue or make a decision on a concern brought to them.
45
46 As I stated in another response, I very much envision the council as guiding the distribution to invest in proposals (a GSoC like method) and the foundation to fund the work.
47
48 If our council could do this then we could solve hard problems like a Portage alternative. Pushing to modernize our infra (this is not meant to take away from Max and the team doing amazing work... Thankfully, we have volunteers to do this right now). Just an example.
49
50 Anyway, it would be a great day for some form of this to come about.
51
52 -Aaron
55 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.