From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Date-of-birth in developer applications
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 09:05:03
1 >>>>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2018, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > W dniu śro, 20.06.2018 o godzinie 10∶24 +0200, użytkownik Kristian
4 > Fiskerstrand napisał:
5 >> Immediately I can think of two good reasons for this information,
6 >> (i) as a disambiguifier for matching names, at least across europe
7 >> it is common to refer to an individual "A born DD.MM.YYYY",
8
9 > Please tell me, how many times did we have to disambiguate two
10 > developers using the same name? Even if we ever have to do that, do
11 > you really think we'd use one's birthday all over the place?
12
13 At least once. While we researched the copyright forms, we wondered
14 why there were two entries in LDAP with a different nick, but with the
15 same name and approximately the same location.
16
17 >> (ii) verify legal age for entering into agreements. One can argue
18 >> that without further verification of (ii) it has less value, but at
19 >> least that would be a misrepresentation so shifting the question a
20 >> bit if it ever becomes an issue with FLA/DCO etc.
21
22 > a. 'Legal age' may differ per country, so birth date alone is not
23 > very useful.
24
25 > b. There is no reason to store the full birth date if all we need is
26 > a boolean whether someone is of 'legal age'.
27
28 How would you determine when to flip that bit?
29
30 > c. We don't even have any clue what to do if someone is *not* of
31 > 'legal age'.
32
33 And closing our eyes would improve that situation?
34
35 Ulrich