From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 06:59:32
On 04-08-2011 13:08:06 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> On 18:15 Tue 02 Aug , Fabian Groffen wrote: > > > > Right, which means to me that if the council agrees on a certain change > > > > to GLEP39, it has to organise a full developer vote with all the > > > > supporting material for the change. > > > > > > But, you are saying that the council has to approve changes for glep > > > 39 before they can come to a vote. This would mean that say a majority > > > of developers doesn't like something in glep 39, but the council > > > doesn't approve the change. That change will never come to a vote. In > > > other words, the council has control of the rules that govern it. Is > > > that what you are intending? > > > > I think yes, if the council regarding GLEP39 thinks A, but the dev > > population B, then it is unlikely the council will vote for B. However, > > the dev population should vote for other council members that do support > > B for the next term in that case. > > I think the whole idea is rather absurd that the council could disagree > with a change to GLEP 39 and thus prevent it from going to a > developer-wide vote, even though they don't think they have the > authority to change the GLEP.
Let me try to put it different: The assumption that the council has to vote for GLEP39, perhaps is wrong. Would it make more sense when the council would suggest the changes for GLEP39 and have the dev community vote on acceptance? Beforehand, the council then -- internally -- has to vote if they agree on the changes being put forward to the dev community. I think there should be a majority vote among the council members before such proposal is sent out for a dev vote. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level