From: Mikle Kolyada <zlogene@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Gentoo as hobbyist distro
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 14:56:00
1 On 19.06.2019 18:45, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 09:24:10AM +0300, Mikle Kolyada wrote:
3 >> We must keep gentoo as stable as possible taking care of our production
4 >> users, I can speak of myself here, I am currently maintaining
5 >> computation clusters with > 1k units (all are under gentoo), and I would
6 >> not happy to see my cluster somehow affected by unstable features in the
7 >> mainline (neither would others I believe).
8 >>
9 >> Still gentoo is the only meta distribution with freedom of choice, that
10 >> says we can really implement bleeding edge solutions with a separate
11 >> profile and something like "I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING=1" variable set in
12 >> the make.conf, the only question of implementation.
13 > As I said in my last message on this thread, the stable tree is supposed
14 > to be for that, so if your cluster is using fully stable packages I
15 > would be concerned about this.
16 The question implied nothing about stability of the existing tree, so I
17 decided to emphasize (just in case) that stable state should be kept
18 whatever we do. Some people just get paid for gentoo at work, that is
19 where I was concerned.
23 > Is that what you are doing, or are you using ~ keywords for any of the
24 > packages?
25
26 Some gentoo packages I use simply do not have stable keywords, that is
27 where I am using testing ones sometimes.
28
29 Normally, as a member of (almost) all arch teams I push testing packages
30 ahead and mark them stable once I am sure there is no bugs.
34 > Willia