From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call For Agenda Items - 13 May 2014
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 18:13:07
1 On 11/05/14 21:09, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 11/05/14 21:06, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> The amd64 team traditionally hasn't been very territorial about its
4 >> role, perhaps because the arch is so ubiquitous.
5 > For reference, a mail from the amd64@ lead KingTaco from 2007 at
6 > gentoo-core@:
7 >
8 > "All-
9 >
10 > Due to my failure to keep the amd64 team on track, I must now ask for your
11 > help. We have 101 keywording bugs and 16 Security bugs, found at [1]
12 > and [2].
13 > It is simply too much work for me to do without holding up the release
14 > even more.
15 >
16 > If you are the maintainer of a package that currently has open bugs for
17 > amd64
18 > stabilization and own amd64 hardware, please do your own testing and keyword
19 > your packages.
20 >
21 > I apologize for every late bug due to the amd64 team slacking off.
22 >
23 > Mike Doty
24 >
25 > [1] - http://tinyurl.com/2uanmp
26 > [2] - http://tinyurl.com/3e2z56
27
28 For futher reference, a thread from #gentoo-dev, Freenode, around 2007,
29 including amd64 lead:
30
31 "<ulm> !herd amd64
32 <jeeves> ulm: (amd64) angelos, beandog, cardoe, chutzpah, cryos, dang, diox,
33 dmwaters, hparker, kingtaco, kugelfang, malc, metalgod, philantrop,
34 rbu, sekretarz, tester, tomk, trapni, voxus, welp, wolf31o2
35 <ulm> ^^ping
36 <kingtaco|work> yes?
37 <ulm> kingtaco|work: I'm about to file a stablereq bug for about 70 packages
38 in app-emacs
39 <kingtaco|work> gah
40 <ulm> kingtaco|work: just wanted to ask how we should handle it
41 <kingtaco|work> well
42 <kingtaco|work> do you run stable amd64?
43 <ulm> kingtaco|work: not regularly, but opfer and me have machines available
44 <ulm> kingtaco|work: in principle this stuff should be arch-independent
45 anyway
46 <kingtaco|work> ulm, for something like this, there are 2 paths. you
47 can file
48 the bugs & tracker like usual or, if you have a stable amd64
49 root using portage, I would allow you to keyword
50 <kingtaco|work> I assume you're trying to make the snapshot?
51 <ulm> kingtaco|work: at least for some of the packages it would be nice
52 <ulm> it's mostly a matter to synchronise amd64 with x86
53 <kingtaco|work> ulm, they would probably be low on the priority list of
54 stuff
55 to stabalize, so it sounds like it would be better to have the
56 emacs herd do the keywording
57 <ulm> kingtaco|work: the emacs team would prefer this, too ;)
58 <ulm> kingtaco|work: but i'm going to open a bug for it anyway
59 <kingtaco|work> ulm, ok, our requirements are a stable root and portage
60 as the
61 pkg manager
62 <kingtaco|work> and yes, a bug so we all know what's going on is good
63 <phreak``> kingtaco|work: damn, I thought you accepted one of the
64 alternatives
65 * phreak`` runs
66 <phreak``> better fast I take it
67 <phreak``> :P
68 <hparker> it's not like anyone uses emacs
69 * hparker runs
70 <kingtaco|work> phreak``, nope. I don't care if other devs use is for
71 whatever, but for amd64 our package manager is portage
72 <phreak``> hparker: if taco ain't nobody ;)
73 <hparker> phreak``: I know ;)
74 <kingtaco|work> and yes, I'm an emacs wh0re
75 <phreak``> kingtaco|work: just messing with you :-)
76 <ulm> kingtaco|work: in addition we have some 10 packages (in app-emacs,
77 too)
78 to be keyworded ~amd64. Same procedure for them, I assume?
79 <kingtaco|work> ulm, jup
80 <kingtaco|work> ulm, so long as it's not a system dep, I'm more than
81 happy to
82 let herds do the keywording"