From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: comrel changes
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 18:33:44
1 On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 1:14 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 12:18:54PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I think that this depends a bit on your definition of "no action." Do
6 > > you mean no final decision? Or simply no activity? The former is
7 > > easy to measure, the latter is going to potentially a lot of heartbeat
8 > > activities that just kick the can.
9 >
10 > with all respect, did you even read Matt's comment above? We are
11 > discussing bugs that get ignored.
12
13 I've completely read every email in this thread. I'm well-aware of
14 your frustration.
15
16 My point is that measuring "no action" is a lot harder than just
17 having a casual conversation about it. If you want to trigger some
18 kind of escalation you actually need to define the trigger.
19
20 Also, you need to consider that the presence of a trigger could
21 influence what happens.
22
23 Right now maybe a bug gets filed with no comments for 4 weeks. You
24 set up a rule that a bug with no comments after 2 weeks gets
25 escalated. Suddenly every bug has a comment every week, but no real
26 progress. What you measure is what you get.
27
28 I'm not trying to be obstructive. I'm just pointing out that simple
29 policies end up not being so simple when they involve stuff that is
30 this warm and fuzzy.
31
32 That is why I suggested that final decisions are more measurable.
33 Resolved bugs are easier to measure than "active" bugs.
34
35 But, you could at least require periodic comments on bugs.
36
37 > Do you seriously believe that ignoring all requests for intervention is
38 > an improvement or is this trolling?
39
40 It isn't intended as trolling at all. I'm just pointing out what
41 might be perceived as a problem, or not.
42
43 Those who object to Proctors taking action at all probably consider it
44 an improvement. Those who feel otherwise have yet to actually say
45 anything about the current state. It is really hard to tell what the
46 general sentiment is. When Proctors so much as issues a warning we
47 usually end up with 30 post arguments on the lists. I've yet to see a
48 single post complaining about all the bugs that have been dormant, or
49 emails sent to the alias that didn't lead to bugs.
50
51 I'll also comment that in some of these cases the tone of the threads
52 that triggered the bugs tended to improve after the bugs were filed,
53 which probably also lead to increased hesitation to intervene.
54
55 I guess my overall point is that I do think these are serious issues.
56 I just don't see what the answer is. I'm always happy to chat about
57 them. If you're not sure if I'm trolling, perhaps consider just
58 asking me instead of posting accusations on the lists.
59
60 And, honestly, this reaction is part of why nobody probably likes
61 bringing these issues up. They're just unpleasant to talk about, and
62 there is a lot of difference in opinion. Who wants to deal with that?
65 Rich