From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Making GLSAs useful for security
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 12:25:34
1 On 2016-12-15 22:43, Yury German wrote:
2 > It does sound good, but not practical as it will introduce confusion
3 > for the users especially those that do not constantly maintain their
4 > system and only update the security patches.
5
6 I am wondering if these people understand that we also have security
7 bugs without GLSAs:
8
9 - Nowadays fuzz testing becomes more and more popular. But researchers
10 often only report on their results without further investigations.
11 Upstream will fix reported problems but often nobody knows if you
12 could really exploit the findings.
13
14 - We just don't have the man power to write a GLSA for any potential
15 security problem.
16
17 - Once it was decided to not issue a GLSA I think we never revise
18 decisions unless someone poke us or we gain information about an
19 exploit/active attack in the wild.
22 So maybe we should also consider adding a new option to check for
23 package updates based on security bugs without GLSA (I guess this would
24 also need an update on Bugzilla to allows us tracking/exporting such
25 information).
29 Regards,
30 Thomas Deutschmann
31 aka Whissi