From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 12:52:28
1 On 13/11/16 12:33, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > On 13/10/2016 01:30, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 >> TL;DR: move comrel, infra, PR to Foundation. Have strict(er)
4 >> application of policies to them in line with their powers.
5 > The foundation was made only to collect and redistribute money. In order
6 > to do that it was made sort of copyright collector as well (but that was
7 > actively blocked by the fact the EU law prevents that).
8 >
9 > In short and sweet summary:
10 >
11 > - The Council was made to be the team leading Gentoo, we have elections
12 > for that reason.
13 > - Recruitment should get new wonderful people as Developers, either by
14 > inviting them or by vetting them.
15 > - Comrel is offloading from the council the management of conflicts
16 > between developers. Incidentally it had to manage also troublemakers,
17 > creeps, and other horrible people that the recruitment process failed to
18 > recognize as such (luckily happened really few times).
19 > - Q/A is offloading from the council the management of day-by-day
20 > technical issues and possibly prevent people not so skilled from destroy
21 > systems.
22 > - Foundation should just care of money on behalf of the council and not
23 > interfere with the community.
24 >
25 > Giving the Foundation more power than act as financial operations is a
26 > quite bad idea to me.
27 >
28 > lu
29 >
30 EWW .. forgive my boldness, but that is the Exact Opposite of what needs
31 to happen. What you are, in effect, proposing, is that for all intents
32 and purposes, you can merge the Function of the foundation INTO council.
33 Why keep them separate if the legal body is the Council and it is
34 adequately ratified by its developers, but yet not the general community
35 and membership at large. This only goes to reinforce the status quo that
36 the council is a self-serving self-reinforcing body.... A single-headed
37 monster if you will.
38
39 Sorry, whilst historical precedent might be thus, I strongly feel that
40 this idea is NOT the way forward.