From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: proctors@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Why should you *not* vote on existing Council members
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 04:12:27
1 On 06/20/19 14:24, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 7:41 AM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> During council meeting from 2019-05-12, we, the current running council,
5 >> tried to make it very clear that we are really concerned about
6 >> undertaker project's attitude expressed in pre-meeting talk in
7 >> #gentoo-council on 2019-05-08, 2019-05-09 and during meeting. And it
8 >> looks like you still haven't understand our point:
9 >>
10 >> You are lacking humanity.
11 >
12 > The Proctors have decided that this post/message/etc is in violation
13 > of the Gentoo Code of Conduct and are issuing this warning.
14 >
15 > While we recognize that a language barrier may have resulted in this
16 > statement being made more strongly than intended, it is still a
17 > personal attack in nature. When discussing application of policy it
18 > is better to focus on the policy itself and its application, and less
19 > on the individuals making the decisions. If there are concerns with
20 > how an individual is interacting with others on a personal level, this
21 > should be raised in private with Comrel, if direct communication
22 > fails.
23 >
24 > The fact that the discussion involves current/former council members
25 > makes it important to try to set an example.
26 >
27 > Since Proctors is still a fairly new concept we wish to clarify that:
28 >
29 > * Proctors doesn't get involved in trying to resolve interpersonal
30 > conflict or gauge intent - we're focused on what was said and trying
31 > to improve how we communicate.
32 >
33 > * Proctors doesn't make value judgments regarding the people making
34 > statements, just what was said.
35 >
36 > * Proctors warnings do not have any cumulative effect, or any direct
37 > effect at all. This is intended to try to encourage good behavior,
38 > not to punish.
39 >
40 Just so everyone is clear on this, exactly how is it bad to explain how
41 someone appears to demonstrate a lack of empathy? Especially after the
42 individual who posted the message in question apologized for any offense
43 caused before proctors stepped in?
44
45 Does the proctors project acknowledge that posting such a warning very
46 much appears to just be flagging something to complain to comrel about
47 later, and that by excluding the apology this appears to be all the more
48 biased?