From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] pre-GLEP: Gentoo OpenPGP web of trust
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2019 01:56:43
1 On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 7:55 PM Chris Reffett <creffett@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 1/31/2019 7:42 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
4 > > On 2/1/19 1:41 AM, Chris Reffett wrote:
5 > >> but let me pose a more philosophical
6 > >> question: _why should proving my real name matter_?
7 > >
8 > > It matters in the context of copyright law.
11 > That said, though, I'm talking about the GPG key itself here, not my
12 > commits, and I think that verification of real identity through WoT is
13 > an unreasonably high bar for claiming copyright.
14
15 ++
16
17 I think there are a lot of good reasons to require real names.
18 However, making that our policy and upholding it when we have cause to
19 think a name is false doesn't require us to rigorously check IDs.
20
21 Maybe for officers listed on filings for the Foundation it is more of a concern.
22
23 IMO Gentoo developers should simply be asked to provide their real
24 name, and to confirm that they are legally adults. I don't think
25 we're doing anything that necessitates a higher level of due diligence
26 than that unless somebody actually brings a potential specific concern
27 to our attention.
30 Rich