From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: mgorny@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominee 2018/19 questions
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2018 21:04:47
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 this is my Council manifesto in form of a detailed answer to all
4 questions that were currently raised. Michał, if I missed a question,
5 please tell me :-)
9 On Sun, Jul 1, 2018, at 14:37 CDT, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
10
11 > - How do you feel about Gentoo's use of GitHub? Do you support Gentoo
12 > providing resources for our users on GitHub? Or are you opposed to
13 > using GitHub at all?
14
15 I think that reaching out to a wider audience of contributors via Github
16 is a good idea. Github is a good platform for that because it simply has
17 by far the largest number of users that could potentially readily
18 contribute.
19
20 In my opinion we should take some additional precautions, though:
21 Because github is a closed-source and for-profit third party we must
22 ensure that
23
24 - github is not used for bug tracking (i.e., close all repository issue
25 trackers)
26
27 - we should encourage projects to use our own gitolite infrastructure
28 for overlays (mirrored to github.com/gentoo-mirrors)
29
30 The current incident - as unfortunate as it is - has not much to do with
31 Github. (Meaning, if we would have used Gitlab, or another platform then
32 that one would have been compromised.) Some lessons learned:
33
34 - We should educate on rsync/tree validation (currently working on that with
35 fellow developers)
36
37 - Do not use passwords for authentication if possible (i.e. use ssh
38 pubkeys, or gpg auth/signatures for authentication). If passwords are
39 unavoidable, we should enforce two-factor authentication (at minimum
40 for admins).