From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>, gentoo-project@l.g.o, Gentoo Council <council@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 19:45:30
1 On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Wed, 30 Sep 2015, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >
4 >> 2. We deprecate <herd/> in metadata.xml and assign herds/teams/projects
5 >> via e-mail addresses. This keeps partial backwards compatibility with
6 >> existing tools and solves the bug assignment issue.
7 >
8 > I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but seems that you have
9 > missed it. IMHO matching projects via their e-mail address is not a
10 > good idea, because some projects have an address <project>-bugs@g.o or
11 > dev-<project>@g.o which makes guessing the project's name (and finding
12 > the project page) more difficult. Therefore, projects should be
13 > matched by their proper name.
16 I kind-of prefer the email solution, because it reduces the number of
17 identifiers people are effectively using. Bugzilla is tracking by
18 email, herds by names, etc.
19
20 If some projects/herds/whatevers have less-intuitive email aliases
21 they can always create new ones that are easier to use.
22
23 But, I don't feel very strongly about the issue.
24
25 >> 2a. If someone really cares about this, we add an extra attribute or
26 >> element which indicates the 'kind' of <maintainer/>. Otherwise, we just
27 >> match herds.xml by e-mail address.
28 >
29 > Why don't we follow the KISS principle and replace <herd> by <project>
30 > in metadata.xml? That is, create a project for every herd.
31 >
32 > Personally, I find this:
33 >
34 > <project>portage</project>
35 >
36 > easier to read than this:
37 >
38 > <maintainer type="project">
39 > <email>dev-portage@g.o<email>
40 > </maintainer>
41
42 Honestly, I think not specifying the type at all is simpler still. If
43 you want to know what dev-portage@g.o is, then go to the single
44 authoritative source herds.xml for alias->project/team/whatever
45 mappings, rather than embedding this in every single package
46 metadata.xml.
47
48 I can be persuaded that one particular authoritative source is better
49 than another, but I really don't like having multiple places that are
50 all competing for the place you go to store the same information.
53 Rich