From: Josh Sled <jsled@××××××××××××.org>
To: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 22:56:18
1 Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
2 > Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
3 >> The problem here is not if anyone wants an election or not. Personally,
4 >> I don't want to vote for the council now.
5 >
6 > Then don't! Isn't the whole point of a democracy to allow the will of those
7 > who are represented to triumph? If that will is to not hold an election,
8 > wouldn't it be undemocratic to ignore it?
9
10 GLEP 39 doesn't state "if $slacker_meeting, vote to see if people want to
11 hold an election."
14 > Policies are important. It is important that they be well thought out. It is
15 > also important that when a policy is dumb that people not blindly follow it.
16
17 When it's the case that a policy dumb, then people should raise that fact and
18 work to change the policy. In some circumstances, the effects of the dumb
19 policy might be so dumb as for people to feel the need to arrange for
20 compensating action. But just ignoring the rules is not a very good option.
23 > point to nuke this bullet item in GLEP 39? I think the whole slacker policy
24 > is a bit harsh in general - maybe it could be adjusted somewhat. At the very
25
26 I agree the single-slacker-meeting-forces-election rule is too harsh.
29 ...jsled
30 http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}