From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for nominees
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 18:39:45
1 > On 2 Jul 2022, at 07:09, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Jul 01, 2022 at 01:58:14PM -0500, John Helmert III wrote:
4 >>> Does your employer use Gentoo? If elected to council, could this
5 >>> produce a conflict of interest between your employer and Gentoo? If
6 >>> so, how would you handle the conflict?
9 My employer uses Gentoo quite heavily. We naturally discuss
10 general and contemporary issues and while new perspectives
11 often come out of this, it doesn't mean I ever take a position which
12 goes against wha tI think is best for the community.
13
14 Indeed, we often end up talking internally about what might work for us
15 vs what, if anything, could be done for Gentoo in general.
16
17 The default position is generally "do something internally, then iterate
18 on it to make it upstreamable if it's of interest". And "if it's of interest"
19 or "if it's appropriate" is always key.
20
21 I find these discussions pretty fruitful and I try to share the
22 insight gained from them. It's not always easy to find out
23 what our users are struggling with, what they need, what
24 we're doing well, etc.
25
26 (Answering the latter part mixed in the next question...)
27
28 >> I'll start: I currently have no employer and thus can answer these
29 >> questions with "N/A".
30 > Ok, I'd like to have a extra portion to this question.
31 >
32 > If were to get hired by a organization using Gentoo, do you feel a
33 > conflict of interest might exist, and how would you handle it?
34
35 We had a conversation about this at the very beginning and they
36 (before I even had a chance to bring up the topic) made clear
37 they don't want to affect my judgement of what I think is best
38 for Gentoo and the community.
39
40 As an example of this, we regularly use an overlay for things which
41 either aren't suitable for :;gentoo, or aren't yet suitable for ::gentoo.
42
43 This is pretty similar to what the other folks have said in this thread
44 - upstream what's possible/useful to others, and fork what isn't.
45
46 I've never felt pressured to make a decision a certain way
47 and I don't anticipate it happening. If it did, I'd leave
48 the council. But I'd really try de-escalate before it
49 got to that point -- it's normal for anyone using e.g.
50 Gentoo at work (or any FOSS) to regularly have to
51 make calls on what makes sense as a "local solution"
52 vs something to upstream. I can't imagine a situation
53 in my current circumstances where that wouldn't
54 be the way out.
57 > --
58 > Robin Hugh Johnson
59 > Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
60 > E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
61 > GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
62 > GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136
63
64 best,
65 sam