From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:13:52
1 On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:55:30 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > What if I *have* to opt out because of my employment or local law? For
4 > example, if my contract forbids me from being *enlisted*
5 > in corporations working in the IT sector?
6
7 If you cannot be a member, you likely cannot be a developer. Do you have a
8 specific scenario or just hypothetical?
9
10 If you look into any real scenario, the same restrictions that would prevent
11 membership in the Foundation would prevent you from being a developer.
12
13 > It's easy to argue whether things can or can't happen but will you
14 > defend me against a lawsuit from my employer? Will the Foundation
15 > guarantee that? As I see it, keeping a low profile should be
16 > developer's right.
17
18 Keeping a low profile would be being a member of the Foundation and NOT being a
19 developer. Soon as you make your first commit, you are not flying under the
20 radar. Votes are secret, commits are not.
21
22 > We are individuals who can get along eventually and make a pretty
23 > decent distro as a result. For some time already.
24
25 For some time now Gentoo has been losing interest. I am not sure many outside
26 Gentoo would consider Gentoo a decent distro.
27
28 Does one want to be decent, or a leading mainstream distro?
29
30 > > > How can a user who has barely any contact with Gentoo developers be
31 > > > able to choose good candidates for the Council?
32 > >
33 > > Users would never have ability to vote for Council. Foundation members can
34 > > only vote for Foundation stuff. Which Council voting would be left to
35 > > Developers.
36 >
37 > ...which would be meaningless with Trustees having the power to
38 > override pretty much everything for no apparent reason.
39
40 Trustees have the power to do that now. Trustees have legal authority over
41 Gentoo. I cannot see Trustees, plural, overriding any decision for no reason.
42
43 That is not saying much of people who are part of the project, developers, and
44 have been elected to their positions as Trustees.
45
46 > I'm afraid we don't understand each other. I still don't see how
47 > liability is different for person who is a *member* of the Foundation,
48 > and for a developer who is not a member of the Foundation.
49
50 I do not think you have an understanding of Liability from a legal perspective
51 in the US or your own country. That may differ from country to country. In the
52 US liability is a big deal. Lots of frivolous law suits and others that are
53 quite costly all around.
54
55 I know clients who have really upset their customers due to liability
56 restrictions from their Insurers. Which I do not believe Gentoo has any
57 insurance, umbrella or other that can help mitigate any financial repercussions
58 in the event of some suit.
59
60 > So why are the people who don't want to be developers privileged over
61 > people who don't want to be Foundation members?
62
63 Where are you getting that they are privileged? Not sure where you are getting
64 that from. Maybe they cannot legally be a developer. But they could vote as a
65 member.
66
67 > You can protect Gentoo from liability without having total control over
68 > every aspect of Gentoo. There's a difference between power to make
69 > decisions that prevent liability and power to make any decisions.
70
71 I am quite aware. That said entities in Gentoo should not be taking action
72 without consideration of legal implication. Which includes actions taken by
73 say Comrel or Council.
74
75 Like it or not, Trustees have all the power. They just do not exercise such,
76 and I am not advocating they go crazy. There has never been power abuses and I
77 do not forsee such. I have more faith in fellow Gentoo developers and
78 community members.
79
80 > > > It's not perfect but I believe Gentoo could prevail. Maybe it'd even be
81 > > > beneficial long-term, since it would let the developers actually doing
82 > > > a lot of work to split from those who mostly talk. Pretty much getting
83 > > > Gentoo back to the roots, as Daniel Robbins seen it.
84 > >
85 > > That is not how Daniel sees it, and does not agree with such separation.
86 > > That is what people need to understand. What Gentoo has become it was not
87 > > intended to be, nor did it start that way.
88 >
89 > http://www.funtoo.org/Making_the_Distribution,_Part_1
90
91 I am aware by talking to Daniel directly....
92
93 > And here we are, arguing that Gentoo should be lead by people 'who
94 > aren't writing any code (nor do they have any intention to). Instead they
95 > spend their time talking about more important things. You know, those
96 > managerial issues'.
97
98 Did Steve Jobs write code? Did he make the iPhone? Does Larry Ellison write
99 code? What about Mark Zuckerberg? Or Larry and Serge? They all may have at one
100 time but do they today?
101
102 The world works this way now. Most people who write code, make things, etc for
103 a living. They likely have a boss who does not. This is rather foolish.
104
105 Sorry Engineers, programmers, and others do not always know what is best.
106 Companies have leadership, boards, officers, bosses for a reason.
109 William L. Thomson Jr.