From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, Gentoo Elections <elections@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] 2021 Trustees election
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 02:51:36
1 On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 6:50 PM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 06:12:42PM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
4 > > On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:27 PM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 02:57:38PM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
7 > > > > On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 2:32 PM Micha?? Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
8 >
9 > <snip>
10 >
11 > > In fact you didn't, and that is not the perception I was left with
12 > > from our conversation. I suggest that you reread our conversation,
13 > > because I don't think you have an accurate memory of it.
14 > >
15 > > 18:25 <@ mattst88> | I'm also disappointed that some Trustees that
16 > > were elected on a platform of merging the Foundation into an
17 > > umbrella... don't seem to have done anything towards that goal
18 > > 18:25 <FreedomBear> | mattst88: It is a long process...
19 > > 18:25 <FreedomBear> | mattst88: of course, I think some opinions have changed :)
20 > > 18:26 <@ mattst88> | It is, but I see mgorny (not a Trustee)
21 > > reaching out to umbrella orgs, not Trustees
22 > > 18:26 <FreedomBear> | mattst88: he requested to do so and it was
23 > > approved by the trustees.
24 > > 18:26 <@ mattst88> | I think he took the initiative because it
25 > > wasn't happening otherwise
26 > > 18:26 <@FreedomBear> | Fair enough.
29 > There was much more to the conversation than just this. Please don't
30 > pick and choose what you present.
31
32 I don't think I'm misrepresenting the conversation, but you seem to be
33 ignoring my point.
34
35 > > Obviously the financial work Robin has done is valuable and necessary
36 > > if we're to merge into an umbrella organization. I was not referring
37 > > to him when I wrote the first line in that snippet.
40 > The entire year was focused on righting taxes. This was clearly
41 > communicated through several bugs, emails (from the Foundation
42 > president), #gentoo-trustees, and -nfp mails. There are some emails
43 > which go to trustees@ but these are not public and are communications
44 > with the tax people.
45
46 So for example, since September 2020 until the emails about the start
47 of the election process, there was only one email on this list, as far
48 as I can tell -- saying that the taxes have been filed.
49
50 I think we can probably agree that neither Bugzilla nor IRC are really
51 a sufficient mechanism for communicating Foundation activity.
52
53 > > At no point in the conversation did you give an HTTP link. You said
54 > > basically: it's on the Wiki and Bugzilla. Before today, there were
55 > > only two minor edits to
56 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Foundation:FoundationFutureState
57 > > since September 2020. Is that an accurate picture of the Trustees'
58 > > progress? I have no idea.
61 > It is all out there. Go look for it... or ask for a specific link. I did
62 > ask what else could be done to smooth communication. If asked, I would
63 > have provided a direct link.
64
65 Please provide a link to something that documents the Foundation's
66 activities in, say, the last six months.
67
68 > > There are no non-trivial changes to
69 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Main_Page this year. The
70 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Main_Page#Board_Minutes
71 > > section ends in 2018 with no explanation as to why.
72 > >
73 > > The Foundation:Main_Page doesn't even have an accurate "Last elected"
74 > > date for the President.
77 > I think this is accurate as he has served consecutive terms.
78
79 It's funny you say that. The officers are elected each year at the
80 AGM. If I guess that there's a 2020/ directory (since there's no link)
81 I find https://projects.gentoo.org/foundation/2020/20200822.log.txt
82 where the Trustees voted to continue with the current officers. The
83 last elected field is updated when any other Gentoo project has an
84 lead election; I see no reason why the Foundation should be different.
85
86 You didn't address the other points made in the text you quoted.
87
88 > > I'm unsure what you find disagreeable about what I said?
91 > It is the manner in which you do it. You throw stones instead of asking
92 > questions or requesting information. If you care enough... ask. I was
93 > more than willing to support with my broad offer and request to
94 > facilitate better communications as seen on IRC.
95
96 I'm not doing that, and I'm sorry if somehow my email made you think
97 that's what I'm doing.
98
99 And, okay, I have asked.
100
101 > > On IRC I asked how I could follow what the Trustees do, and you said:
102 > >
103 > > 18:32 <@ mattst88> | right. I meant, is there evidence of activity?
104 > > presumably I can't just add myself to the trustees@ alias, so if I
105 > > wanted to follow along I should... watch bugzilla?
106 > > 18:33 <FreedomBear> | mattst88: bugzilla for sure. Wiki has the
107 > > account information.
108 > >
109 > > But I'm not sure if Bugzilla contains everything. Presumably not. For
110 > > example, it seems that a Trustee contacted the Linux Foundation in
111 > > February and March [1]. I only learned about that because I saw
112 > > robbat2 ask alicef in #gentoo-dev to summarize it for the Wiki. Robin
113 > > added a bunch of information to that page today, and that's great, but
114 > > probably insufficient as a general strategy for keeping Foundation
115 > > members informed.
118 > So, you would like a better flow of information. That is fair and should
119 > be addressed.
120
121 Yes, this is what I said on IRC as well.
122
123 > > > Yet, here you are publically tossing out false information based on
124 > > > your imperfect perception.
125 > >
126 > > It's probably not a great strategy to scold people for not knowing
127 > > what you know, when you're failing to document what you know...
130 > See above.
131 >
132 > > Anway, I'm not sure what's false about my statement, but this is kind
133 > > of my point precisely!
134 > >
135 > > I don't know what the Trustees do. I don't mean in general; I know you
136 > > approve funds, etc. But like, what things have you actually done in
137 > > the last $timeframe?
140 > Do you have some specific question? Do you think we should be doing
141 > other things than what we are tasked with as a Foundation? Do you have a
142 > recommendation?
143
144 Yes, I would specifically like some information on the progress and
145 next steps towards dissolving the Foundation.
146
147 > > The Council has monthly meetings with logs and summaries. Trustees
148 > > have one annual meeting. Obviously the Trustees do things between
149 > > annual meetings. How can anyone stay informed?
152 > This is understandable, they have a need for such things as day-to-day
153 > project requirements drive such meeting frequency.
154 >
155 > Do you think the trustees should meet monthly? We have done this before,
156 > but it was not very productive as most tasks, outside of approving
157 > funds, are longer term.
158
159 Maybe just a monthly email that gives some insight into what's going
160 on. The X.Org Board (which successfully merged their foundation into
161 SPI) has meetings and provides summaries:
162 https://www.x.org/wiki/BoardOfDirectors/MeetingSummaries/
163
164 Many of the meetings have a bunch of "no updates" status, and maybe
165 the meetings are a waste of time in that case, but at least the
166 information that is provided is sufficient for someone casually
167 following along to be informed well enough to notice a problem.
168
169 E.g., in January I asked the X.Org Board what was going on with a
170 particular item that didn't seem to progress. I was able to pull out
171 status updates for ~15 months worth of meetings and draw some
172 conclusions.
173
174 So what's happening with the progress of dissolving the Foundation? I
175 think it's impossible to tell with the information currently
176 available.
177
178 I tried doing some monthly update emails for the Gentoo X11 project,
179 and while I ran out of steam and didn't continue for long, many people
180 did tell me that they enjoyed reading them and learning about what was
181 going on in the project. I think there is value in the Foundation
182 doing something similar.
183
184 > > Maybe you could just clearly state what you've done towards the goal
185 > > of merging the Foundation into an umbrella org? (I thought that at
186 > > least at one point you were against that, so I'm not even completely
187 > > sure of your position!) Maybe you're all working tirelessly to this
188 > > end, but if you are, I'm almost completely unaware of it, and I don't
189 > > think that's for lack of attention on my part.
192 > I have not done anything to assist in dissolving the Foundation as a
193 > trustee. I don't agree that an umbrella is right for Gentoo. We can
194 > discuss this further on another thread on -nfp if you like. I,
195 > personally, have stated this across many mediums.
196
197 Perfect, thank you.
198
199 Are you instead interested in the Foundation moving from a 501(c)6 to
200 a 501(c)3 so that donations are tax deductible? If so, have you done
201 anything to work towards that?
202
203 > The dissolution of the Foundation is what Alec proposed in his trustee
204 > manifesto.
205 >
206 > Aside from this, one critical factor of doing so (as you have noted) is
207 > correcting the taxes which has been completed. This too was communicated
208 > in official letters to -nfp and "President Updates".
209
210 Yes, and that is great.