From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, council@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2019-12-08 19:00 UTC - Agenda topics?
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2019 09:45:00
1 On Mon, 02 Dec 2019 10:10:55 +0100 Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 >On Wed, 2019-11-27 at 00:26 +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 >> The next council meeting will be on Sunday 2019-12-08, 19:00 UTC in
5 >> the #gentoo-council channel on Freenode. Please reply to this mail
6 >> with desired agenda topics.
9 >I'd like to pass a big question™ towards the Council since there seems
10 >to be some disagreement on the direction Gentoo should take:
11 >
12 >===
13 >Should Gentoo developers be expected to be able to find a way to work
14 >together to build a somewhat consistent distribution, or should it be
15 >allowed for individual developers to 'run their own shops' and ignore
16 >everybody else?
17 >===
18 >
19 >To explain what I mean with an extreme example: in the past we had
20 >a developer who blocked adding systemd units to his own packages
21 >because of his own personal agenda against systemd. This was
22 >obviously harmful to systemd users who couldn't install use those
23 >packages normally, and was harmful to consistent user experience
24 >across Gentoo.
25
26 Perhaps you even mean my past actions here because that was exactly
27 what I did with my packages. The reason is not because I want to
28 actively sabotage systemd in Gentoo but because I cannot test the
29 unit files as I do not use/have a Gentoo installation with systemd
30 available. What I did was to assign such request bugs to our systemd
31 team and gave them permission to add these systemd units to my packages.
32
33 >In my opinion, such behavior is unacceptable but given that similar
34 >issues regularly emerge, maybe I'm wrong.
37 Cheers
38 Lars
41 Lars Wendler
42 Gentoo package maintainer
43 GPG: 21CC CF02 4586 0A07 ED93 9F68 498F E765 960E 9B39