From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Docs Team <docs-team@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] improving alternative PM support in gentoo
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 19:17:35
1 On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 1:24 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > That also means that we would have to integrate these alternatives in
3 > our documentation, hopefully the official one. Because I think our
4 > official documentation should discuss package managers in the same way
5 > it discusses file systems. So, it is fine to recommend e.g. Portage and
6 > ext4 as the main examples, but we should also mention zfs, btrfs,
7 > Paludis, Pkgcore (when it catches up) and so on.
8 > In the case of Paludis, the upstream documentation[4] is quite technical
9 > and doesn't give a concise enough introduction for Gentoo beginners, who
10 > want to follow a step-by-step guide. Because of that, I have written up
11 > such a guide and proposed it to be included in the official Gentoo
12 > handbook[5][6].
15 ++
16
17 Alternatives like btrfs/paludis/systemd often start off with separate
18 standalone documentation. This is actually a pretty good way to do
19 things early-on but it is a bit like trying to follow the handbook
20 with a separate errata page on the side.
21
22 The goal should be to integrate alternatives into the main handbook
23 when reasonable, unless it really is something that can just stand
24 alone. If it is just an extra step run at a certain point and it is
25 lengthy it might make sense to just have a link to a separate guide.
26 However, if the instructions require performing steps at multiple
27 points along the way it is better to present them as they happen.
28
29 Along similar lines I plan to spend a bit of time integrating the
30 systemd and dracut instructions into the handbook. It isn't all that
31 intrusive at this point and just requires one or two steps along the
32 way, and a find/replace for rc-update.
33
34 The only thing that concerns me is keeping it reasonably simple to
35 follow and not turning it into a "Choose Your Own Adventure" novel.
36 That might involve splitting up the handbook a bit. Right now it
37 includes not only installation, but also info on administration, and
38 the further you go past installation the more things will tend to
39 diverge.
42 Rich