From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 12:58:23
1 On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 11:18 PM Sarah White <kuzetsa@××××××××××.ovh> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 11/13/2018 09:46 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > > On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 06:17:17PM -0800, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > >> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 10:32 AM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
6 > >>>
7 >
8 > multiline (standard form) copyright attribution doesn't have anything to
9 > do with licensing, and only serves to strengthen copyleft due to the
10 > presence of additional copyright notices which clearly lay out a list of
11 > entities / people with a stake in protecting the interests of an
12 > opensource project remaining FOSS/Libre.
13
14 First, git already does this.
15
16 Second, please cite an example of a copyright lawsuit that was won
17 because multiple notices were listed, or a law that provides
18 protection if multiple notices are provided. Your claim that doing
19 this "strengthen[s] copyleft" is baseless as far as I can tell.
20
21 The presence of any copyright notice in the form given in US law
22 already defeats the innocent infringement defense, even if it doesn't
23 mention you. Beyond that copyright law applies whether there is any
24 notice at all.
25
26 > gentoo's license policy already
27 > requires FOSS/Libre licenses and correctly using copyright law for
28 > copyleft purposes makes everything work correctly when it's used correctly.
29
30 Indeed, and for this reason I don't actually see any reason under US
31 copyright law that we couldn't strip out additional copyright notices
32 in code as a result. US law explicitly makes this illegal only if it
33 is done to hide infringement, and we don't infringe copyright. I can
34 only imagine the wails of the copyright pro-spam crowd if we actually
35 tried that (not that I'm suggesting it)...
38 Rich