From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Code of Conduct
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 19:51:26
1 On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 01:46:38PM +0200, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
2 > Basic social consents that our project works with are:
3 > - Be considerate
4 > - Be responsible
5 > - Be respectful
6 > - Be collaborative
7 > - Support others in the community and get support from them
8
9 Beyond this, can we as a community suggest some useful resources on
10 encouraging good practices, rather than listing bad practices?
11
12 I'll start off with two things that have come to mind from this thread.
13
14 1.
15 Buddhist ethics principles, primarily the concept of 'Right speech' (but
16 much of the rest of the Buddhist principles are also useful):
17 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_Eightfold_Path#Right_speech
18
19 2.
20 Elsewhere in this thread it was noted that some long-standing developers
21 were being oppressive to new developers, but didn't realize it. To
22 counter that, I think that the original essay by Peggy McIntosh,
23 "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack" would be a useful
24 read:
25 http://www.amptoons.com/blog/files/mcintosh.html
28 Robin Hugh Johnson
29 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
30 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
31 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85