From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2019-07-21
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 13:50:57
1 On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 1:36 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, 2019-07-08 at 06:43 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 > >
5 > > The restriction was introduced because of the problems that you had
6 > > pointed out in [1]. What measures do you propose instead, in order to
7 > > address these problems?
8 >
9 > As for the attacks, I believe having active Proctors team is
10 > the
11 > solution. After all, they provide more proactive approach
12 > and better
13 > response times than ComRel used to.
14
15 This is certainly the intent. The main weakness is that it can't
16 offer any solution for ban evasion, since mailing lists do not provide
17 any way to delete emails after they are sent.
18
19 Historically ban evasion hasn't been a problem, but then again we
20 haven't really had much in the way of bans.
21
22 Personally I think it probably makes more sense to wait until evasion
23 becomes a problem before we try to fix it, since there are significant
24 costs to whitelisting.
25
26 > I would also like to remind that the initial proposal made sense because
27 > it restricted both -dev and -project, so the split between mailing lists
28 > was preserved. The decision to restrict one but not the other has
29 > resulted in switching the split to 'devs only' and 'everyone', without
30 > matching change of rules.
31
32 I think this particular problem is best solved by setting the same
33 policy on both lists. Either whitelist both, using the same list, or
34 keep both open.
35
36 Overall I think the real tradeoff is decreased non-dev participation
37 vs the possibility of ban evasion, which is hypothetical, and more
38 Proctors activity which generates controversy.
39
40 A smaller issue is just low-grade trolling that keeps leaking through
41 because Proctors don't want to jump on every little thing and people
42 react strongly when they do anything at all...
43
44 > I can admit mistakes. Can you?
45
46 ...and clearly whitelisting can't fix that issue entirely.
47
48 As you pointed out recently elsewhere, just be direct with your
49 concerns. ulm's response was completely predictable, and it was a
50 reasonable question to ask simply so that it gets discussed a bit.
53 Rich