From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [rfc] /usr/portage sync source options (and recommendations)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 02:10:16
1 On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 8:37 PM, Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The key questions for differences and picking I see are:
4 >
5 > * Does it support incremental updates?
8 This could probably use a bit of nuance, since there is a practical
9 difference in how a git vs rsync update is done, and pros/cons to the
10 two approaches. For infrequent updates git is going to transmit a lot
11 more data, since it has to send all the in-between commits. For
12 frequent updates git would have a lot less local IO since it doesn't
13 have to scan the entire repository to tell what changed.
14
15 The only thing I'd add is that since you're including repositories
16 that have pre-generated metadata, I'd also note which options include
17 some kind of CI (such as the stable repository), which comes at a cost
18 of more latency, but with the benefit of not getting a head that has
19 inconsistent keywording/etc.
20
21 While I personally don't think that non-free software matters on a
22 mirror host (you might as well note which mirrors are running
23 libreboot with FOSS CPU microcode), I could see some people wanting
24 repositories hosted on github noted.
27 Rich