From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Meeting agenda - Council meeting 2018-04-08
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 18:37:27
1 On 18-04-07 10:16:26, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 9:02 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 16:44:47 -0400
4 > > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >>
7 > >> Presumably it would work similarly to the current state - we'd
8 > >> encourage people to donate via whatever organization we want the most
9 > >> money flowing into at the time. If we need more money in the
10 > >> Foundation bank account, we'd point donors to the Foundation. If we
11 > >> needed more money in some other bank account, we'd point donors to
12 > >> that one instead.
13 > >
14 > > Wow. So, presumably, we'd be showing a great lack of professionalism to
15 > > potential donors by our inability to solve ridiculous internal
16 > > disputes and asking them to pick sides.
17 > > Budgeting and delegating management of it is what usually allows to
18 > > maintain each sub-entity bank account (or virtual bank account) on
19 > > tracks, but the requirement for this to work is to be able to agree
20 > > in the first place...
21 >
22 > I wasn't suggesting having individuals "pick sides." If we wanted one
23 > org to have more money we'd have the other org turn away donors and
24 > refer them to the other, unless for some reason it makes more sense to
25 > have that particular donor contribute to that particular organization.
26 >
27 > I agree that ultimately we need one group to be overall in charge for
28 > this to work, because we don't want two legal entities fighting each
29 > other.
30 >
31 > A big part of the problem right now is that our current organizational
32 > model has two groups more-or-less in-charge, and it is difficult to
33 > get agreement on which one should be on top, in part because the model
34 > that makes the most sense legally (Foundation on top) has the worst
35 > organization fit (we're a bunch of programmers, not
36 > accountants/lawyers). My guess is that if most contributors were
37 > given a choice they'd rather just see the legal issues "go away" and
38 > not have to worry about them. The problem is that with our current
39 > model that isn't possible, and due to our history it seems to be
40 > pretty hard to change that, and it will be even harder if we're
41 > fighting ourselves. Our model makes it even worse that we have one
42 > leadership board composed of volunteers who specifically want to be
43 > involved in the legal stuff, which is going to create more conflict.
44 >
45 > IMO getting another organization to help us out in our current state
46 > should be legally possible, but would probably require a bit of
47 > salesmanship to pull off. If half the community actively takes steps
48 > to sabotage whatever solution the other half tries to attempt we're
49 > probably not going to succeed at anything. This will be especially
50 > hard if due to disagreements on other issues there are individuals who
51 > aim to emphasize the disagreements that already exist.
52 >
53 > I think that trying to bring in another org to take on some of the
54 > load makes a lot of sense, but I'm skeptical that it will be possible
55 > if the Trustees are opposed to the idea. That said, I have a fear
56 > that this problem will just continue to grow worse until something
57 > snaps, and the result may or may not be a viable distro.
60 How about we solve the problems rather then running into a strangers
61 arms? While having two orgs manage the same group is technically
62 possible I highly doubt it'll happen for multiple reasons.
63
64 First, like you said, the trustees must approve it as it's a business
65 and legal decision. If council goes ahead with this it'd likely go
66 against section 4.9 of the foundation bylaws and if they are a member
67 of the foundation they could be removed (possible, not certain).
68
69 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Bylaws#Section_4.9._Termination_from_Membership.
70
71 Second, I highly doubt that any other org would be willing to manage the
72 project without at least some sort of license/trademark agreement
73 between the foundation and them. Most likely, they'd want to own the
74 copyright/trademark.
75
76 Third, I also doubt any org stepping in would want to manage one of two
77 accounts (bank wise), they'd want to manage all the money.
78
79 Fourth, I don't think any group would be willing to be co-managers with
80 another. We'd be replacing one structure, where two groups think they
81 are in charge but one legally is, with two groups who think they are in
82 charge and both legally are.
85 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)