From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] council manifesto 2016/17
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 18:04:10
1 Hello all,
2
3 For those of you who do not know me, I have been a Gentoo developer
4 since 2004 and the primary author and maintainer of OpenRC for a number
5 of years. I am a member of base-system, qa, the udev team, and the accessibility
6 team. Also, I have experience using Gentoo in a production
7 environment.
8
9 Below are my thoughts about how the council should operate.
10
11 * The council should be asked to make a decision on an issue only when
12 the issue cannot be settled by the community itself. Innovations should
13 come from the developers, and the council should do what it can to
14 support these innovations.
15
16 * When the council is asked to make a decision, it should be fully
17 informed about both sides of the issue before it votes. On the other
18 hand, the council should not block progress by taking an extremely long
19 time to make a decision.
20
21 * We can learn from the past and improve upon it. Continuing
22 to do things like we have in the past is not a bad thing in itself.
23 However, using what we have done in the past to block change can be. I
24 understand that people are used to doing things a certain way. However,
25 that alone is not justification for continuing to do things the same way
26 in the future. if we need to make a change, we should make sure that
27 change is backward compatible with what we have, or if this is not
28 possible, provide the smoothest possible transition for our users.
29 Since the council doesn't maintain all of the packages, the council is
30 not going to know the technical details of how to make either of these
31 happen, so I don't feel that the council should mandate specific
32 implementations.?
33
34 Thanks much for your time, and please participate in the election.
35
36 William