From: "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2021-07-11 - call for agenda items
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 06:56:01
1 On 7/7/21 11:59 am, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I'd like the council to vote on one of the following, or some other
3 > approach, preferably to get IRC/email/usernames to match once more:
4 >
5 > * On 2021-08-01 the LDAP user database will be queried to compare
6 > their IRC nickname to uid/email addresses. If these do not match,
7 > then the developer will lose their IRC cloak and all IRC roles on
8 > Gentoo channels, and will not be eligible to obtain these again until
9 > the IRC nickname matches.
10
11 This would mean some developers would need to change their Gentoo
12 uid/address because their nick is not available on Libera. I'm also
13 assuming this only applies to Libera as our official IRC location, since
14 a users nick may be different across networks.
15
16 > * On 2021-08-01 the LDAP user database will be queried to compare
17 > their IRC nickname to uid/email addresses. If these do not match,
18 > then a process will be initiated to change their Gentoo uid/email to
19 > match their newly chosen IRC nickname.
20
21 How would this work for people with multiple nicks? I occasionally
22 change my nick to something different for events, like 'darth_wraeth'
23 for May the 4th/5th. I know others have alternate nicks they use
24 longer-term. Would there be a time limit someone can use an alternate
25 nick for?
26
27 > * On 2021-08-01 the LDAP user database will be queried to compare
28 > their IRC nickname to uid/email addresses. If these do not match,
29 > then the retirement process for that developer will commence. Users
30 > who are unable to obtain a matching nick should contact <foo> to have
31 > this addressed with Libera/Infra prior to this date.
32
33 Would this be an ongoing thing? This also ties into my previous point -
34 if I temporarily switch nicks, would I be in violation? What if my
35 connection drops/reconnects and I end up as 'wraeth_' and don't notice,
36 would I be in violation and risk retirement (an extreme example, but
37 hopefully you get my point)?
38
39 Each of the above three options also mean available Gentoo uids is
40 dependent on whether a given nick is available on Libera.
41
42 > * The Council recognizes that during the transition to Libera a number
43 > of individuals decided to change their IRC nicks and this is causing
44 > confusion. The council kindly asks all developers to voluntarily
45 > re-align their nicks and Gentoo uids so that it is not necessary to
46 > endure further requests asking us to address this problem.
47
48 What if developers kindly say 'no'?
49
50 > * The Council recognizes that during the transition to Libera a number
51 > of individuals decided to change their IRC nicks and this is causing
52 > confusion as to what Gentoo policy is on this matter. There is no
53 > requirement that Gentoo uids and IRC nicks match, and any dev is free
54 > to change their IRC nick and register the new one in LDAP. The public
55 > Gentoo developer list will be updated to list the IRC username of each
56 > developer to help everybody identify who is who, and everybody is
57 > encouraged to keep the list handy as it will likely change frequently.
58
59 This would be my understanding of the status quo, though it isn't
60 codified (that I'm aware of off-hand) nor enforced - that when someone
61 changes their nominal handle, they should update LDAP to reflect it.
62 It's also the most flexible, since it allows Gentoo uid and IRC nick to
63 be different. I think it's also the most reasonable since IRC isn't the
64 only platform Gentoo has an official presence on (eg Github). Still, it
65 only accounts for a single nick, when people may have multiple, for
66 varying lengths of time.
67
68 Perhaps, rather than forcing either nicks or uids to change, this last
69 option should be properly codified and enforced? Should there also be
70 some guideline on how long someone can use a nick before it's considered
71 "their nick"? Alternatively, can LDAP support multiple nick entries?
72
73 I think at least the issues of multiple/temporary nicks could be
74 mitigated if you replace 'nick' with 'account' - their Libera account
75 name must match their Gentoo uid in order to be eligible for a cloak.
76 That way the cloak matches their Gentoo uid (since the format is
77 gentoo/developer/$account) making them easier to identify, and you can
78 look up a nick in nickserv to see which account owns it (though you
79 can't look up an account and see what nicks it owns, nor if they are
80 currently online). If going with one of the options that requires IRC
81 presence to match uid, it still means that available Gentoo uids is
82 dependent on what accounts haven't been claimed on Libera.
83
84 More generally, how would this apply to people who don't use IRC and
85 thus would never have their IRC nick in LDAP match their uid?
88 Sam Jorna (wraeth)
89 GnuPG ID: 0xD6180C26

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature