From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Corporate affiliations of Council members
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 13:34:09
1 On 2020-06-22 18:18, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Here's another question for the Council nominees. I'd like to ask
3 > the Council members to disclose their corporate affiliations,
4 > in particular whether they are employed or in partnership with companies
5 > using Gentoo or Gentoo derivatives.
6 >
7 > This is because I believe that the electorate deserves to know whether
8 > their elected Council member may end up being in conflict of interest
9 > between doing what's right by the wide community and what's requested by
10 > his employer.
11
12 I am getting paid to maintain a cluster running Gentoo Linux (400+
13 machines at the moment).
14
15 I am not getting paid for my contribution to Gentoo.
16
17 I do care about keeping Gentoo useful for any professional usage. That
18 doesn't mean I don't like progress but I am not a fan of new ideas that
19 have not been thought through to the end (and yes, people who never had
20 to deal with large setups, who only maintaining their own system, have a
21 biased view and other problems like people running Gentoo on servers and
22 have to run applications they can't easily change just to adapt to some
23 new ideas).
24
25 But like I have written in my previous manifests for the past two years,
26 I am not running for council to pursue my own agenda/ideas. I have
27 'radical' ideas like there shouldn't be any discussions during council
28 meeting. Instead council should just vote because discussion should have
29 happen in the public (mailing list) and results should represent the
30 majority of the Gentoo community and not the opinion of individual
31 council members.
32
33 I would therefore rather abstain or even resign and free up my place
34 should I absolutely not be able to support a majority decision of the
35 community because this is against my own conviction.
39 Regards,
40 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
41 fpr: C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5