From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Should DevRel members be in Council?
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 11:38:44
1 On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 > Quite a few of you know that Council acts as a court in case a developer
3 > has unresolved disputes with Devrel or when he is not happy with a
4 > Devrel's decision. The problem is that having the same people in the
5 > Council and in Devrel makes no sense since the same people will vote
6 > twice on that matter.
9 So, the way I view it is the Council is the elected body elected by
10 the Devs to govern the Devs. If they feel the best way to resolve
11 disputes is to have Devrel first hear them then that is fine. If they
12 want to personally hear all disputes and have no avenue of appeal
13 whatsoever that is fine too. If they want to take turns hearing
14 disputes and then only hear appeals if there is a majority vote to
15 even hear the appeal in the first place, that is fine too.
16
17 If Devs don't like the way it is being done, they can always elect
18 somebody else. If a Dev doesn't like how they were treated they can
19 ask all the other devs to elect somebody else to reinstate them, fork
20 the project, or whatever.
21
22 All that said, I think the current system works fine and see no need
23 to change it. I'd view the Council as being the body that ultimately
24 makes all DevRel decisions - they just have delegated this
25 responsibility and only step in if needed.
26
27 For these reasons, I see no reason with having overlapping membership
28 - we're a community and we govern ourselves. The Council is elected
29 by the community to speak for the community, and they're allowed to
30 speak even if they've done so already.
31
32 For the same sorts of reasons I also see no issue with having
33 overlapping Council and Trustee membership (obviously allowing that
34 the Bylaws would need to be amended if a majority of foundation
35 members agreed with me). I do see the value in having more
36 participation, but not the requirement.