From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] William Hubbs council manifesto 2018-2019
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 15:43:24
1 On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:33 AM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > What I meant to say makes no sense was your commentary above, which got
4 > deleted from this some how, about selection bias. That seems to be true
5 > for any elected position -- you have people running for the position who
6 > are interested in having the job. :-)
9 I don't see the disagreement here. You seem to agree there is
10 selection bias, and are just extending it even further.
11
12 I agree with that. Asking the Council whether we need a Council makes
13 as much sense as asking the Trustees whether we need a Foundation.
14
15 Obviously we are all smart people, and to an extent we can recognize
16 our biases and compensate. I'm not saying they shouldn't have a say.
17 I'm just saying that in the end any proposals on ultimate direction
18 should probably go back to the voters, and ideally with more than just
19 a yes/no option (which is terrible for expressing mandate, and can
20 lead to distortions due to a lack of nuance - just look at Brexit).
23 Rich