From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, Gentoo Elections <elections@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] 2021 Trustees election
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 01:12:59
1 On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:27 PM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 02:57:38PM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
4 > > On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 2:32 PM Micha?? Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > On Tue, 2021-07-06 at 17:29 -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
7 > > > > On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 08:11:29PM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
8 > > > > > Greetings members and the Gentoo Community.
9 > > > > >
10 > > > > > The 2021 election for the Gentoo Foundation board of trustees is coming up.
11 > > > > > Anyone who is a Foundation Member as of July 1, 2021; is eligible to vote.
12 > > > > >
13 > > > > > The nomination period is July 1 - 15 2021.
14 > > > > > The voting period is July 18 - Aug 18.
15 > > > > >
16 > > > > > The Annual General Meeting (AGM) is 8/23 at 0100 UTC on #gentoo-trustees on
17 > > > > > Libera Chat.
18 > > > > >
19 > > > > > The board has 5 members; robbat2, myself, and alicef retire by rotation
20 > > > > > this election.
21 > > > > >
22 > > > > > -A
23 > > > >
24 > > > > I would like to nominate:
25 > > > >
26 > > > > mgorny
27 > > >
28 > > > Thank you for the nomination but I'm going to decline. I'd like to
29 > > > focus on Council duties this year.
30 > >
31 > > As far as I can tell, you're the only one who has done anything
32 > > concrete towards merging the Gentoo Foundation into an umbrella
33 > > organization :(
34 >
35 > I explained this to you on IRC, Matt. I even asked what information may
36 > be lacking, what the Foundation could do to improve communications, and
37 > pointed you to the documentation for all things umbrella related and
38 > finances.
39
40 In fact you didn't, and that is not the perception I was left with
41 from our conversation. I suggest that you reread our conversation,
42 because I don't think you have an accurate memory of it.
43
44 18:25 <@ mattst88> | I'm also disappointed that some Trustees that
45 were elected on a platform of merging the Foundation into an
46 umbrella... don't seem to have done anything towards that goal
47 18:25 <FreedomBear> | mattst88: It is a long process...
48 18:25 <FreedomBear> | mattst88: of course, I think some opinions have changed :)
49 18:26 <@ mattst88> | It is, but I see mgorny (not a Trustee)
50 reaching out to umbrella orgs, not Trustees
51 18:26 <FreedomBear> | mattst88: he requested to do so and it was
52 approved by the trustees.
53 18:26 <@ mattst88> | I think he took the initiative because it
54 wasn't happening otherwise
55 18:26 <@FreedomBear> | Fair enough.
56
57 Obviously the financial work Robin has done is valuable and necessary
58 if we're to merge into an umbrella organization. I was not referring
59 to him when I wrote the first line in that snippet.
60
61 At no point in the conversation did you give an HTTP link. You said
62 basically: it's on the Wiki and Bugzilla. Before today, there were
63 only two minor edits to
64 https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Foundation:FoundationFutureState
65 since September 2020. Is that an accurate picture of the Trustees'
66 progress? I have no idea.
67
68 There are no non-trivial changes to
69 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Main_Page this year. The
70 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Main_Page#Board_Minutes
71 section ends in 2018 with no explanation as to why.
72
73 The Foundation:Main_Page doesn't even have an accurate "Last elected"
74 date for the President.
75
76 I'm unsure what you find disagreeable about what I said?
77
78 On IRC I asked how I could follow what the Trustees do, and you said:
79
80 18:32 <@ mattst88> | right. I meant, is there evidence of activity?
81 presumably I can't just add myself to the trustees@ alias, so if I
82 wanted to follow along I should... watch bugzilla?
83 18:33 <FreedomBear> | mattst88: bugzilla for sure. Wiki has the
84 account information.
85
86 But I'm not sure if Bugzilla contains everything. Presumably not. For
87 example, it seems that a Trustee contacted the Linux Foundation in
88 February and March [1]. I only learned about that because I saw
89 robbat2 ask alicef in #gentoo-dev to summarize it for the Wiki. Robin
90 added a bunch of information to that page today, and that's great, but
91 probably insufficient as a general strategy for keeping Foundation
92 members informed.
93
94 > Yet, here you are publically tossing out false information based on
95 > your imperfect perception.
96
97 It's probably not a great strategy to scold people for not knowing
98 what you know, when you're failing to document what you know...
99
100 Anway, I'm not sure what's false about my statement, but this is kind
101 of my point precisely!
102
103 I don't know what the Trustees do. I don't mean in general; I know you
104 approve funds, etc. But like, what things have you actually done in
105 the last $timeframe?
106
107 The Council has monthly meetings with logs and summaries. Trustees
108 have one annual meeting. Obviously the Trustees do things between
109 annual meetings. How can anyone stay informed?
110
111 Maybe you could just clearly state what you've done towards the goal
112 of merging the Foundation into an umbrella org? (I thought that at
113 least at one point you were against that, so I'm not even completely
114 sure of your position!) Maybe you're all working tirelessly to this
115 end, but if you are, I'm almost completely unaware of it, and I don't
116 think that's for lack of attention on my part.
117
118 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Foundation:FoundationFutureState&diff=929271&oldid=890055