From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Mike Pagano <mpagano@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] call for agenda items, council meeting 8/13
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2017 12:18:51
1 Dnia 3 sierpnia 2017 13:18:57 CEST, Mike Pagano <mpagano@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >Hello,
3 >
4 >On 08/03/2017 03:06 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >> On pon, 2017-07-31 at 18:13 -0400, Mike Pagano wrote:
6 >>> On 07/31/2017 10:15 AM, William Hubbs wrote:> All,
7 >>>>
8 >>>> The next Gentoo Council meeting is on Sunday, aug 13 at 18:00 UTC
9 >in the
10 >>>> #gentoo-council channel on freenode.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> Please reply to this message with any items you would like us to
13 >discuss
14 >>>> or vote on.
15 >>>
16 >>> <snip>
17 >>>
18 >>> I would like to submit the following for the council to discuss and
19 >vote
20 >>> upon.
21 >>>
22 >>> At the moment, we have a capacity problem around kernel
23 >stabilization.
24 >>> Upstream kernels are released at an extremely high rate and the
25 >Gentoo
26 >>> Kernel Maintainers do their best to release them shortly thereafter.
27 >>>
28 >>> Sometimes, arch teams are not able to respond to stablereqs in a
29 >timely
30 >>> manner. This is not a complaint on their efforts, just a description
31 >of
32 >>> what happens often for arch teams that are stressed to capacity.
33 >>>
34 >>> When the motivation for a STABLEREQ is a high severity security bug
35 >>> (e.g. root exploit), this delay in stabilization results in us
36 >having to
37 >>> keep exploitable kernels in the tree in order not to drop the latest
38 >>> stable for a specific architecture.
39 >>>
40 >>> The procedure outlined below allows for auto-stabilization of minor
41 >>> bumps by the Gentoo kernel team for any previously stabled major
42 >version
43 >>> kernel.[1]
44 >>>
45 >>> I welcome discussion, better ideas or anything else that makes
46 >>> everyone's lives easier and user's systems more secure.
47 >>>
48 >>
49 >> I'm not sure if this is really something for the Council to discuss.
50 >> Sounds like a regular problem that's best dealt either with arch
51 >teams
52 >> directly or on gentoo-dev.
53 >
54 >This is really something I would like the Council to discuss and vote
55 >upon. I've tried to do this through arch teams and the result is root
56 >exploitable kernels sitting in the tree (which is the state right now
57 >as
58 >I write this). Certain architectures will not perform stabilization no
59 >matter how much I ask. Or how many bugs I submit. Or how many times I
60 >pop into IRC and ask. And I only do this when I am forced to keep root
61 >exploits in the tree.
64 >> <private hat>
65 >>
66 >> I don't mind stabilizing new minor releases automatically but I'd
67 >prefer
68 >> if they were at least build-tested with the default config once.
69 >> However, I doubt anybody's going to shoot you if you take
70 >> the responsibility for your actions and don't break anything
71 >important
72 >> in the process.
73 >>
74 >> </private hat>
77 >You're preference would result in the status quo. Exploitable kernels
78 >sitting in the tree. I don't have the hardware to build and boot test
79 >on every architecture.
80
81 Well, I meant making the hardware available to you here. This is sth infra and/or arch testers should be able to do.
84 >By only auto stabilizing minor version bumps for which a major bump was
85 >previously arch tested and stabled, we reduce the risk of breakage.
89 Best regards,
90 Michał Górny (by phone)